Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #11

What he said^

Fixing a bad leaf spring conversion will be much easier going U-Joint, who does leaf spring conversions the right way

Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Garage
Hey guys looking for some help. I just opened the rear doors and realized they don't swing all the way open like the ones on my 2014 van do. Is it just replacing a part that will make that capable? Thanks!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #13

Need the newer "door checks".

Or, push in on the retaining spring on your current door checks (the thingy in the door gap which holds it from opening), lift slightly so it comes off the pin, the close the doors to push the now disconnected door checks back into the door.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #14

Garage
Got it, thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #15

FWIW I have a 2008 E350RB with an Advanced conversion....kingpin Dana 60 front axle....it's been fine so far.

It came with the econo Warn hub locks; I replaced them with a used set of premium Warns that I purchased from member REF here....the econos were fine, just did an inexpensive upgrade/swap.

I also did a massive front brake upgrade....the Dana 60 had late model Chevy rotors and calipers mounted (12.5" rotor dia). I replaced these with stock 2008 E350 calipers and F450 rotors (14" dia).....had to fabricate new caliper mounts and drill new lug holes in the rotors.

The rear leafs have the same blocks as yours, and my rear leafs are just about flat...much like yours as well....

I have a NP271 transfer case with a welded tube attaching it to the trans......this results in a short gas tank.....Mine seems to be about 28 gal.

If you'd like to compare anything, I'd be happy to take pics or measure what I have under my van....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Garage
Hey Boywonder, thanks so much for the information. Ya the worst part about this system is not knowing what it's actually comprised of, and calling Advanced didn't help me any.

Is your 2008 a v10? Mine looks like the transmission and transfer case are connected by something legitimate, similar to what Ujoint sells but I haven't made sure yet.

Since I want bigger brakes and of course I want the Dana 60 even though I'm sure I would do just fine with the 44, I am probably just going to swap out the entire front end with A Ujoint kit. I need to give it some time to build up the funds as well as see what else comes available. The only issue with that is that I don't want to go any higher than 4" but I want the tight turning radius of the Quadvan setup. We will see.

But for now I am just going to drive it and enjoy it and slowly fix things along the way and see where my budget allows me to go. If there is a way to upgrade the brakes on this Dana 44 without it costing a lot I definitely want to do that sooner than later as service records and the previous owner told me I should.

Thanks again and I will hit you up if I have any questions!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #17

Certainly the Dana 60 is stronger, but there's nothing wrong with the Dana 44 you have now as long as you don't abuse it. Ramsey at Agile has a big brake setup (based on Super duty parts I think) that allows you to use your current 16 inch wheels. I'm sure he would have to see your van first though. When your ready to upgrade your diff and you want to get a plush riding, long travel suspension with out much lift, you should consider the TTB system. It's not a kit though, so if you wanted to do it your self, Chris's kits seem to be the way to go. The difference between your (and my) current leaf spring suspension and the long travel TTB suspension is huge in terms of ride quality. I'm considering upgrading myself, I just need to save a few more coins.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #18

Garage
Well if I make it down to Cali before I do anything else I will definitely get in touch with him to find out how he can help me improve this beast. I had already considered the TTB setup for my other van for its ability to stay low but still get a ton of flex but decided I would rather go with a straight axle setup because I can install the Ujoint myself in my driveway. But if I did go TTB I think I would just cruise up to Clydesdale Conversions so I could take advantage of the US CAN exhange rate.

Thank you for the recommendations, I will still hit agile up to find out about the springs cause I'm not a fan of blocks.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post

Since I want bigger brakes and of course I want the Dana 60 even though
But for now I am just going to drive it and enjoy it and slowly fix things along the way and see where my budget allows me to go. If there is a way to upgrade the brakes on this Dana 44 without it costing a lot I definitely want to do that sooner than later as service records and the previous owner told me I should.

Thanks again and I will hit you up if I have any questions!
I had minimal luck getting info from Randy at Advanced as well.....there should be a sticker from Advanced on the driver's door jamb from Advanced with an order number on it.....I did get some basic info from Randy at Advanced before I bought my van.

My van is a 5.4L V8

As mentioned, for bigger brake kit.....reach out to Ramsey at Agile offroad......
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #20

Garage
Unfortunately my van doesn't have the sticker and he tried to tell me what should be on it which wasn't so I didn't ask anymore questions. Oh ok so the 5.4 gets the tube welded thingy, i was wondering why I didn't see it on mine. And yep I am definitely going to hit him up to see how much it would cost to do. Can't put a price on safety though!