Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #401

Garage
Because my van hates me it decided to take advantage of the nasty weather today and crack its windshield. I feel like its playing hard to get at this point. Unfortunately my wallet won't be able to support this habit if the hot dog keeps this up.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #402

Garage
Oh no! What the hey???
Old 12-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #403

Bummer, I guess it's that time of year though. I was driving my work truck with the defroster on high last week, when suddenly there was a popping noise, and a long crack appeared at the bottom, similar to the one in your photo. Too much stress in the glass I imagine. Interestingly, our shop mechanic recently bought all the tools to replace windshields and has done several this winter. He said he gets new ones shipped to Alaska for under $100ea. This is for full size, mostly Ford trucks. He also makes chip encoded duplicate keys very inexpensively. This makes me think there is a huge markup for this stuff, and it may be worthwhile to shop around when you decide to replace your windshield.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #404

Garage
Ya I had this happen to me in my f250 in Colorado during a -4* night so I wasn't too surprised to see it just bummed ha ha. Fortunately its not too bad and really isn't even that noticeable so I'll wait till the winter is over to get it repaired.

Those prices are amazing! There definitely is a markup on this stuff. My wife's grandpa owns a glass shop in Nampa and he said he could get me a good deal if I head out that way before I get it fixed. Thanks for the heads up though!

Man it sounds like you guys are pretty self sufficient up there, but I guess at some point you have to be.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #405

I went through 4 windshields on my Tacoma when I lived in Bend.

Then I found out about glass coverage on my insurance policy. Adds less than $20 a year to my premium... and my last two windshields have cost exactly $0.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #406

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I went through 4 windshields on my Tacoma when I lived in Bend.

Then I found out about glass coverage on my insurance policy. Adds less than $20 a year to my premium... and my last two windshields have cost exactly $0.
I'll have to look into that. Maybe I added it before my window cracked and just didn't realize I had it...

Old 12-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #407

Exactly. Your window cracked the week after next, right?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #408

Garage
So today in Portland we had some weather hit that shut down the city... but...the UPS guy brought my transfer case linkage sooooo...

I got it installed. It was simple in theory but those dang rubber bushing things are legit, I am definitely not worried that this will ever come off without a giant pry bar and some PB Blaster.

I realized tonight that the reason the Advanced linkage is like this is because of the way that they had routed the exhaust up and over the driveline and under the this section in between the transmission and transfer case. Ya sure sounds like a good idea, but not really. Rerouting the exhaust would have been a much simpler solution to this whole thing.

Before with an Advanced linkage -

After with the FORD STOCK LINKAGE -

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet with it installed, but I popped it out of 4wd while I was trying to get the Advanced one off so I wanted to go put it into some sort of gear. Its a lot easier, like crazy easier, something about the way that other one applied the pressure made it feel awkward to shift the transfer case but now its smooth as butter.

Oh and like I said it was snowing here today, here you can see where i was laying doing this work...

Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #409

Wait a minute, you have that wonderful garage and lift and you were laying in the snow to do the install? What's up with that? 😗

We have 2" of snow on the ground and more coming down.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #410

Garage
Where's your sense of adventure Larrie?!

Ha ha well I wasn't planning on doing it but after I finished with my stuff I had to do for the night I saw it and it told me it wanted to be installed. By that time my van had already froze over and I wasn't about to run it long enough to warm it up and defrost the windows just to swap a little part over. That and snow is a nice change of pace compared to the wet ground from the rain.