Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #481

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Looking good. What paint and primer did you use?
Thanks, this is just rustoleum gloss black. It was the smallest can I could find in Home Depot and it said I could apply directly to bare metal.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #482

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
LOL. I dread mechanics in NYC. They are beyond perplexed when their customers are not idiots. I have to drive past 1/2 million people just find an auto store (thats just a few miles but still) People only go to dealers around here. *shiver* Part of the reason I've got more tools and parts than some service stations.
Yep, the more I learn the more upset I get that I have to take my vehicle somewhere to get something done because more times than not it ends with me annoyed about something. I guess the other alternative would be to not drive something so custom ha ha.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #483

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjwilson View Post
Haha yeah that cold spray paint...

I always forget about it, but a friend of mine has rolled on rustoleum paint on several projects and it turns out pretty good, for what it is. As an added bonus, you have get black paint all over the shop floor (sorry about that!) and you don't have to clay bar every nearby vehicle to clean off the overspray (you'd think I would learn).
Yep that's what I used, if it's the same thing that comes out of the spray can then I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

It was pretty thick last night since it was so cold though ha ha.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #484

So is that tank plug and play? It will replace the existing cut-down tank? Fuel filler stays in the same place? Evap canister stuff still remains? Do you need an EB for this to fit back there?

...so many questions.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
So is that tank plug and play? It will replace the existing cut-down tank? Fuel filler stays in the same place? Evap canister stuff still remains? Do you need an EB for this to fit back there?

A lot of this is answered on MG's build thread. I've been considering it too but got a great deal from C7train on a cut down tank so it got back-burnered for me. Anyway, your questions:

NO, yes and no, no, yes but has to be moved, and yes and no. Isn't that helpful? I mostly know the answers but am going to defer to Josh or MG to answer completely and correctly.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

-It can be done with almost all Ford parts. The harness will have to be extended and the fuel lines unless you get those parts from a cutaway chassis.
-It can replace or supplement the mid-ship tank
-the filler should be moved to the back. That's why I made the special dimple dies so I could press in the fuel door recess. You could weld one in too. If you tried to fill from the stock location, you may have fill problems. It isn't all downhill from the stock filler door.
-Evap stuff remains but may need to be relocated.
-EB can fit a 55 gallon tank, RB 40 gallon.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #487

FWIW - when SMB was offering dual Transfer flow tanks, they did the Aussie style 2-in-1 fuel neck option using the single original door. It worked fine with old gas pumps, but was a PITA for the newer (maybe west-coast only?) vapor-return nozzles.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #488

The Tan Hot Dog Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
FWIW - when SMB was offering dual Transfer flow tanks, they did the Aussie style 2-in-1 fuel neck option using the single original door. It worked fine with old gas pumps, but was a PITA for the newer (maybe west-coast only?) vapor-return nozzles.

My 95 had dual fills in one door. It didn't work well at all. Pump shut off constantly and fill ups took forever. We also had a strong fuel smell when full but it's possible that was something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My stock 2008 5.4L fuel fill setup is a PITA with vapor recovery nozzles.....many pumps shut off multiple times during a fill up. Seems like I have to pull the vapor recovery collar back and burp it several times...or that could just be my imagination.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #490

Garage
Well its been a little while since I updated this but things are official so I feel like I can now.

I have officially sold my van to an individual from Seattle that has been following the build and is excited to get to use my van as soon as he gets it. Before it was sold i was having a weird vibration issue that just didnt feel right and I couldn't let it go without addressing that first. I eventually tracked it down to one of the hubs (unit bearings) on the front axle but swapped out both sides for brand new ones just because.

The buyer also wanted me to throw the BFG KO2s back on as well as add a new one to the matching spare wheel I had so that was done and I think it was a good move.

And thats where my responsibilities end and ExpoVans comes into play. The buyer saw that I wanted to add a 55 gallon tank to the rear and some sienna seats so he is having that done and then its off for the maiden voyage! I will let him share that on here if he wants but I didn't want to leave anyone wondering what happened to the Tan Hot Dog.

I am looking forward to getting my next van and of course it will end up on here as well as things get going.

Thanks for following along!