Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Garage
The Tan Hot Dog Build

Other than being completely obvious, why is that the title? Because thats what my wife calls it and I think its hilarious.

So I just purchased this bad boy. 2008 V10 E350 with an advanced 4X4 conversion from Canby Oregon. Got it home and now its time to make sure that everything is legit mechanically before I go messing with the creature comforts. The interior is completely bare other than a factory headliner and a bench seat (crew van) type configuration. It does have rear HVAC which I am pumped about and it even has a sweet cage over it so my son can't go messing with it or hurting himself on it, I will get more of those pictures later. But for now I figured I would post some pics and let people see what i am working with providing insight as they see fit.

Classic Advanced 4x4 shock removal. Its how I knew it was done by them when I first rolled up.

Dana 44 Front Axle with small blocks under the springs.

Leaking

More leaking

Random connector, its always good to have those.

Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Garage
Little block up front under the leaf springs.

Massive blocks in the rear.

Thats enough for me for one day ha ha, this build will be a slow one but I am excited to share it with you guys and love reading yours!

More to come!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Nice van!

Don't know that much about leaf blocks. Good? bad? Exceptionally dumb?
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks!

Well as far as I know, which isn't much, the rears aren't an issue and is fairly common, but I don't feel that comfortable having them up front. I doubt its much of an issue since this rig already has 112k miles on it and they haven't come off yet, I am just not a fan.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Those are pretty tall blocks in the rear. I bet with the V10 you're getting some pretty good axle wrap when you give it some gas. Typically with blocks that tall and a high torque motor, some sort of spring aid like traction bars, lanyot rods, etc are needed to stop the axle wrap. The axle wrap puts more driveline angle into the rear joint so might be why it's leaking.

Likewise, front lift blocks can introduce axle wrap under braking. Those short blocks don't look terrible, but swapping it for another leaf will probably help with the axle wrap. Axle wrap under brake makes it hard to brake in a straight line because your caster angle changes, and can cause axle hop off-pavement when braking. At least with those tiny brakes, you won't be straining the leafs as much as if it has real brakes
Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks Carringb for clarifying this for us. I just know I am not a fan ha ha.

That is actually the front pinion seal thats leaking not the rear, funny thing is the service records that I got said it had been leaking a while back but never said if he got it fixed or not. Hopefully he did and its just starting up again.

Anyone have any suspicions as to why there was red tranny looking fluid on that... totally spaced what its called... that thing ha ha?

I am hoping what I read is true and these are just GM leafs because I happen to have a set sitting in my shop on a suburban that isn't getting touched that would probably work. Not ideal but it may help me out just enough to save me some money until I can upgrade.

Any Brake upgrade suggestions for this dana 44 that wouldn't cost me a ton until I could swap it for a Dana 60?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Those blocks look pretty normal to me.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

Garage
So I went on Advanced 4x4 website and took another look at the front leafs and it appears in one of the photos of the red van that the block is somehow attached to the leafs. Maybe they weld it onto the bottom or something...

Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Those are pretty tall blocks in the rear. I bet with the V10 you're getting some pretty good axle wrap when you give it some gas. Typically with blocks that tall and a high torque motor, some sort of spring aid like traction bars, lanyot rods, etc are needed to stop the axle wrap. The axle wrap puts more driveline angle into the rear joint so might be why it's leaking.

Likewise, front lift blocks can introduce axle wrap under braking. Those short blocks don't look terrible, but swapping it for another leaf will probably help with the axle wrap. Axle wrap under brake makes it hard to brake in a straight line because your caster angle changes, and can cause axle hop off-pavement when braking. At least with those tiny brakes, you won't be straining the leafs as much as if it has real brakes
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Been looking for the right way to do it. Now just to figure out how to find the correct leaf. I mean other than driving to the west coast and asking John.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

Garage
No worries! The stuff posted on here is just as much here to help others as it is myself. If I didn't want to help other people figure it out I wouldn't have started it ha ha.

You could always just hit up Ujoint in NC, shorter drive and you may not even need to go there to get the leafs your looking for.