Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #1

Titan spare tire fuel tank

Has anyone tried Titan's new Ford spare tire fuel tank on a e-series? Seems like it would work.

The product.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/tita...-2014-4020208/

The video.

The pickup tank dimensions.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford...-2015-8020011/

The cutaway dimensions.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...l/2001/145.pdf

Titan didn't seem like they could help.

Whoever in government determined the best way to save the polar bear was for me to drive my 10mpg van 6000 miles (east coast to west coast and back) to get a gas tank installed should have his freezer checked for polar bear meat. Probably uses penguins as bowling pins.

odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #2

Garage
While this is a cool idea and definitely a simple install, the cost of this tank is ridiculous at 1,798.00, especially for the capacity. I would rather just install a 40 gallon aft axle tank and remove the 35 or leave it and have a switch on the dash to go back and forth between the two. I never liked the one tank draining into the other concept, but loved how you could just switch from one tank to the other on older trucks.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

^What he said

Cutting out the spare tire carrier, and adding the cutaway rear tank, would be a fraction of the cost of the "spare tire" tank. Also, transfer tanks (like the Titan) won't work on the newer vans. The computer doesn't like seeing the fuel level go up while driving. If I understand right, it runs a calculated fuel level for DTE, and will still start dinging at you to Fill Up NOW once you've used 35 gallons, regardless of fuel level in the tank. So, you'd want to set it up as an aux tank with a selector valve instead.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Aerotank 45 gallon is about $950 if I remember right. They also make the rear spare tank like this one for about 1150.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Oh I like the aerotank aux so much better. I like the stealth fill up.

AeroTanks - Make Stock# VAN40aux
Has anyone set it up with a selector switch?

Of course it says 'diesel only' I'm guessing that means I'm on my own for plumbing.

Quadvan promises 100% legit gas tank install but what does that mean? Do I get some kind of paperwork? Has anyone one had the gas tank police taze their grandma?

Does anybody know a place that does installs (transfer flow, aux, etc) on the east coast? Wife does not love this epic quest. I must appease her. She is more than happy to bring this up much much later.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Hi,

The diesel only label is for much more than gas usage means you have to do your own plumbing. All the manufacturers moved their gasoline tanks ahead of the rear axle some time ago. Installation of a gasoline tank behind the rear axle where none existed previously is bound to draw the ire of your insurance company should you have a claim related to that tank leaking or causing a loss.

There is a note on the above listed tank maker's website that you must also have a certain hitch rating installed. Again collision protection is their mantra. Diesel fuel is much less likely to ignite if the tank is breached.

Also the evaporative emission canister only has so much capacity to store fumes between engines firings so that system should be twinned in order to stay above board. Frankly, copying a 1993 or so Ford pickup truck twin tank plumbing setup would probably keep the computer happy.

I believe the selector valves in those vehicles can stand the higher pressure injection systems require.

Let us know what you build. I can't stand only carrying 5 hours of fuel.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Hi,

The diesel only label is for much more than gas usage means you have to do your own plumbing. All the manufacturers moved their gasoline tanks ahead of the rear axle some time ago. Installation of a gasoline tank behind the rear axle where none existed previously is bound to draw the ire of your insurance company should you have a claim related to that tank leaking or causing a loss.

There is a note on the above listed tank maker's website that you must also have a certain hitch rating installed. Again collision protection is their mantra. Diesel fuel is much less likely to ignite if the tank is breached.

Also the evaporative emission canister only has so much capacity to store fumes between engines firings so that system should be twinned in order to stay above board. Frankly, copying a 1993 or so Ford pickup truck twin tank plumbing setup would probably keep the computer happy.

I believe the selector valves in those vehicles can stand the higher pressure injection systems require.

Let us know what you build. I can't stand only carrying 5 hours of fuel.

Regards,

Gavin
Ah I see, thank you.

So I'm back to regretting not ordering the 46g transferflow in the first place.

Been kicking around the idea of just building a basement in the back and just putting long flat gas cans in there when I need them. To me that is obviously less safe and less convenient, but hey isn't that's what red tape is really about?

If I bought that gas tanks in the back are always bad I'd just switch to the basement and live with the range, but I seem to remember a whoopla in the press (after pickups switched to side tanks) about exploding trucks and dead T-boned pickup owners.

They couldn't make an official exception for any gas tank with a class 5? *sigh*

Trying to think for yourself seems to be downright illegal these days. IANAL and all that.

Guess my next step is a quote from Quadvan.

Wish there was some kind of full service custom van 4x4 shop east of the Mississippi.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Stupid part is it appears to be legal to haul gas cans on your rear bumper, but not in a factory style setup behind the rear axle.

Custom van shop for 4x4 east of Mississippi? Quigley is in Pennsylvania. Don't know about tank installs though. Call the tank manufacturer and find out.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
Stupid part is it appears to be legal to haul gas cans on your rear bumper, but not in a factory style setup behind the rear axle.

Custom van shop for 4x4 east of Mississippi? Quigley is in Pennsylvania. Don't know about tank installs though. Call the tank manufacturer and find out.
I'll try Quigley and Sportmobile east, but I have my doubts.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
... Also, transfer tanks (like the Titan) won't work on the newer vans. The computer doesn't like seeing the fuel level go up while driving. If I understand right, it runs a calculated fuel level for DTE, and will still start dinging at you to Fill Up NOW once you've used 35 gallons, regardless of fuel level in the tank. So, you'd want to set it up as an aux tank with a selector valve instead.
VivaLaVida have a transfer tanks and I haven't noticed any issue filling the main tank from the auxiliary one. The gage rises slowly during transfer and DTE seems to be recalculated. However, I also installed a manual selector valve in case of leak in one of the tanks...