Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #1

Using Roxul as your insulation. Need your opinion!

So, I decided to try this stuff out called Roxul Safe n Sound. It says it has no R-value, but great sound deadening. I can't believe this stuff wouldn't have any kind of r-value, but I'm using EZ cool insulation as a liner in my van anyways.

Would it be a bad idea to pack this stuff in all the holes before putting the EZ cool insulation (reflectix) up? It doesn't hold moisture and is mold resistant. My doors already sound so much better with this stuff, but I don't want it rusting over the years because of the insulation touching the bare metal. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Here is the product: http://www.roxul.com/residential/produc ... d%E2%84%A2
Attached Thumbnails
photo-1.JPG  

dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2

Re: Using Roxul as your insulation. Need your opinion!

It depents where you live...but i am shure it will cause rust.
Not because of getting wet. But you will have no ventilation of the air. And condens water will not able to get out for days.
Normaly we spray out all these areas in the car with a spezial grease. So water is not able to went into the space between two metal sheets.

see here:
http://www.mike-sander.de/
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

I live in Key West, FL, but my idea is to take this thing anywhere. I was afraid of not letting it breath, and I'm glad I didn't go to far into the project. Stinks though, because the doors already sound so much better after insulating them.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

Take a look here. This stuff is realy good! Expensive but worth. Never forget you will live and sleep in the van....

http://www.reimo.com/de/D-zubehoershop/ ... smaterial/

http://www.reimo.com/de/M50015-reimo_x_trem_isolator/

sorry but it is in german language, but i am shure you will also get it in the states?!

Didi
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

Here is a page in English:

http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories/D ... pholstery/

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Hey DudeWithVan,
I did the same thing you're doing in the wall cavities but I used pink insulation. It's been in there a couple of years and I checked it over the summer and there was no signs of rust or mold. Of course that was with EZCool and Reflectix acting as a moisture barrier between the inside of the van and the insulation. I taped the seams with duct "not duck" silver tape.
If you're putting this stuff in the doors be sure to allow drainage for the water that will get inside the doors via the hinges.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Hey DudeWithVan,
I did the same thing you're doing in the wall cavities but I used pink insulation. It's been in there a couple of years and I checked it over the summer and there was no signs of rust or mold. Of course that was with EZCool and Reflectix acting as a moisture barrier between the inside of the van and the insulation. I taped the seams with duct "not duck" silver tape.
If you're putting this stuff in the doors be sure to allow drainage for the water that will get inside the doors via the hinges.

WVvan,
So you glued EZ cool to the bare metal and then stuffed the insulation inside as shown or stuffed it first against the metal and then put the EZ cool over it?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Site Team

I put the pink insulation in the cavities. With pink insulation it's the air spaces between the fiberglass strands that do the work so you don't want it packed tight. I then used strategically placed squares of double sided tape to hold the Reflectix against the inside walls of the van. Then taped the seams with duct tape.

Here's a link to my van thread showing the work:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p=34876#p34876

Just checked the date on the postings. It will soon be three years since I did this and it's held up with no problems.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Hey, you're that guy! You're the one I got the idea from to begin with, but just wanted other opinions. You have a great post and I appreciate you taking the time to make it. I have actually been using a lot of your ideas. Thanks!

Did you do the same insulation job to the doors? There is a lot of dead space and I filled them up with the insulation and I can't believe how much better the doors sound!

Any more insulation/paneling suggestions are welcomed!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #10

I used Ez cool in my van, just a layer and it reduced drastically the road noise with a good thermal insulation...

I would not pack insulation between the wall and the body due to direct contact and sagging of the product with time and vibrations.
My 2 ct...
Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote