Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #11

I forgot to ask, where is the rv junkyard at?
I'm in Jacksonville, but none here...

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Just re-read this and realized it sounded negative, not my intention… Just always do my templates on the outside and would never trust myself doing it on the inside. I'd have to measure and re-measure way to many times…

Bbasso I get a lot of windows for these guys. Not as cheap as a $20 junk yard find but they are usually new and have trim rings. This one doesn't but they have lots more… https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Trailer-...7/142109865697
Have you ever installed one of these windows in a van? My understanding is that these RV and camper windows do not work on Ford vans because of the curvature to the van. If you use them they will leave a lip or gap at the top or bottom. I bought my van window off eBay, worked well, made my own template out of cardboard.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89srule View Post
Have you ever installed one of these windows in a van? My understanding is that these RV and camper windows do not work on Ford vans because of the curvature to the van. If you use them they will leave a lip or gap at the top or bottom. I bought my van window off eBay, worked well, made my own template out of cardboard.

Yup install this window all the time, think I've done at least a dozen of these windows this year in the E series vans.The goal with an RV window is not to go over 17" in height for the inside frame, that way you don't have to worry about the curvature of the van. I've installed up to 19" but the 17" is the best. My van E350 has Hehr 35"L x 17"W x 1 5/8" RV windows & they worked perfect, no gap. If you install the 19" it will have a slight gab about 1 to 1.5 mm but butyl tape fills this perfect, I then tape off to clean up some black 100% silicon. Pictured is my van with said window, (35x17) the low portion is cranked out about 2" in this shot. I really like this style window & it doesn't have any of the CRL issues of the low portion of the window falling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

I'm about to install a replacement window on my van so seeing this thread is excellent timing. I do have a few questions for those with more experience however.
  • When installing the spacing ring/trim on the inside is it common to use a little bit of adhesive or foam between the wood and the sheet metal?
  • Has anyone attempted to add some curve to the spacing ring on the inside of the van? The existing window definitely distorts the van metal somewhat. It's 17"x52". Would it be better to keep the sheet metal curvature as natural as possible at the expensive of a slightly bigger gap at the top and bottom of the window (but nothing more than the foam/silicone could fill)? Or is it better to install the window flush with some distorted sheet metal?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutout, diy, install, window