Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Video: How to install an RV window on your van

Flakwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
MSD

Garage
Wow. I've never installed from the inside. Always the outside. But I guess I see the logic.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #3

Well done.
Do you have a model # for the window?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Wow. I've never installed from the inside. Always the outside. But I guess I see the logic.
Just re-read this and realized it sounded negative, not my intention… Just always do my templates on the outside and would never trust myself doing it on the inside. I'd have to measure and re-measure way to many times…

Bbasso I get a lot of windows for these guys. Not as cheap as a $20 junk yard find but they are usually new and have trim rings. This one doesn't but they have lots more… https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Trailer-...7/142109865697
Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

I'm still deciding if I even want windows... might sound strange, but no windows equals complete privacy and weather protection too.
Just wanted to get a size to make a cardboard template.
If I ever get around to a decision, I'll be sure to keep your offer in mind. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I'm still deciding if I even want windows... might sound strange, but no windows equals complete privacy and weather protection too.
Just wanted to get a size to make a cardboard template.
If I ever get around to a decision, I'll be sure to keep your offer in mind. Thanks!
I still have templates from my windows which are 17'H X36"L out side. I measure what my inside dimensions are tomorrow and let you know. I also have the smaller size that I put in my fixed tops and check on those as well and report back. Totally see the stealth side of no windows.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
No offense taken here, but I can explain my logic.

My constraints all existed inside the van. I wanted to be above my future kitchen and within the framework that allows for a window without cutting away critical support pieces. Not to mention the support structure with 2 parallel lines that I could measure from as a solid datum line. The lines on the outside of the van aren't even lines much less parallel. I then drilled 4 holes exactly 1 inch inside my template. I drilled them inside just in case I needed to angle it one way or another. With a dry erase marker I connected the hole on the outside to reveal what the lines would look like from the outside. And they flowed perfectly with the profile of the van.

I have driven over 10000 miles, including the Alcan, with this window and it rock solid. The only problem I had was with the window itself. There was a small leak within the double panes of glass unknown to me. No water gets in the van but there is occasional moisture build up between 2 of the panes. I took a risk with the $20 junkyard find and it sorta paid off. A new window would have been ideal.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Well done.
Do you have a model # for the window?
I do not. This was a junkyard find. I don't even remember seeing a manufacturer name on it anywhere.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

Appreciated
Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakwagon View Post
No offense taken here, but I can explain my logic.

My constraints all existed inside the van. I wanted to be above my future kitchen and within the framework that allows for a window without cutting away critical support pieces. Not to mention the support structure with 2 parallel lines that I could measure from as a solid datum line. The lines on the outside of the van aren't even lines much less parallel. I then drilled 4 holes exactly 1 inch inside my template. I drilled them inside just in case I needed to angle it one way or another. With a dry erase marker I connected the hole on the outside to reveal what the lines would look like from the outside. And they flowed perfectly with the profile of the van.

I have driven over 10000 miles, including the Alcan, with this window and it rock solid. The only problem I had was with the window itself. There was a small leak within the double panes of glass unknown to me. No water gets in the van but there is occasional moisture build up between 2 of the panes. I took a risk with the $20 junkyard find and it sorta paid off. A new window would have been ideal.
Plus the pop top junk yard find was awesome as well. Great skill sets for sure van looks great and so do the adventures. Enjoy Alaska, I'll be following along via IG.

Tags
cutout, diy, install, window