Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

What bushings to have replaced ('97 EB Clubwagon)?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but its one that I can't find a solid answer to. My '97 Clubwagon is currently with my mechanic to run through it and fix a few things, and I figured that while he had it, I'd have him upgrade/replace some bushings around the thing as he works his way around the suspension.

I can't seem to find the complete Moog kit that some have mentioned to me. I'm fortunate that my guy won't be charging me for labor, but I don't want to abuse that and have him perform any unnecessary work.

Given that this thing is 20 years old, what bushings would you expect to have replaced?

STP821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Garage
How many miles on that thing?
And where has it "lived" most of its life?

What wears out will vary, based on both age/use and also environment. (More dry rot on bushings in the areas like the West with sustained high heat....)

There's only so many "bushings" of the rubber variety in these vans, however:

1) the main pivot bushings for the twin I-beam suspension arms in front
and
2) the "ice cream sandwich" bushings that the radius arms (again, front suspension) connect to the frame rails with.

Have your guy check for play / visual rot or cracks in the "ice-cream-sandwich" radius arm bushings (they're out in the open). The twin I-beam pivot bushings are trickier to check, but on a proper lift setup it can be done. (Check for play.)

Beyond that, just the usual ball joints/tie rod ends/drag link end links that any car will have -- check em for play, replace as necessary....yeah man, MOOG or nothing!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #3

+ Sway bar bushings
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I've hired out replacing the axle pivot bushings, radius arm bushings all with urethane parts from either Energy Suspension or ProThane--both have excellent customer service contacts and/or online catalogs you can browse.

You may have to assemble your own "kit" though---once you find the correct part numbers for your year and GVW rating do an online search----typically eBay and/or Amazon will have good prices and free shipping too.

Because I run Hellwig sway bars the stock front sway bar bushings aren't replaced as they're not used by Hellwig.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Here's what I bought, comes in red and black. Pretty much all front suspension bushings, leaf spring eyelets and sleeves. Good bargain for $160 and all urethane.

My original rubber swaybar bushings in the i-beams had pretty much worn though to metal on the top side, had a shop replace those as they are flared on both sides and need to be pressed in. Haven't gotten around to the other bushings yet, but the radius arms and spring eyelets look pretty straight forward. Haven't looked at the inner i-beam install procedure yet.

This is all on a 2006 E350 with 130k that I recently picked up. Ball joints, tie rod ends and drag link were all smoked too. Did those as well.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Or better yet, find a 2008+ front end and swap the entire thing out and get better brakes and swaybar design. One of the best upgrades I’ve done on my van.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Or better yet, find a 2008+ front end and swap the entire thing out and get better brakes and swaybar design. One of the best upgrades I’ve done on my van.
I did just the brake upgrade, used all OEM parts and that is worth the effort to be sure.

I run Hellwig sway bars so the pre-2008 arrangement works well for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I run Hellwig sway bars so the pre-2008 arrangement works well for me.

X2 on the Hellwig....and at least the sway bar bushings (synthetics in the axle inserts)
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
JWA

If anyone is planning on upgrading the stock 2wd radius arm bushings to urethane keep in mind its important to keep the plastic spacers, those that look like large super thick washers.

Not sure why Prothane and/or Energy suspension says to eliminate them but twice I've done that only to have the front axle move enough for a tire run with wheels turned sharp left or right.

HTH