Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 01:38 AM   #11

I have a v10, and am very happy with it. The engine itself (I just did a transmission replacement at ~150k miles) needs little other than fuel. (And not as much fuel as I thought it would, at 8k lbs, I get 12mpg highway wth 3.7 gears and 33.5" tires.)

If you can find a low mileage 7.3 that's been used regularly enough to not suffer from storage issues and with low gearing, it's more better, but they getting pretty hard to find these days. A close friend of mine has one, and I'm envious, but still happy with what I have.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #12

I know you have a 6.0 now, so maybe you are already familiar with it... but beware that owning a 6.0 can require a lot of patience and cash flow at times. Yes, many have been trouble-free, however many have not been, and its vulnerability to cascading modes of failure can be infuriating at best. Really, the sole advantage of the 6.0 over the V10 is fuel range. Even with the better fuel economy, total operating costs will always be higher, especially when things start breaking.

The 5.4L is a good, reliable motor. It can tow. It can also power a 4x4 just fine. But if you want to tow behind your 4x4, you'll be way happier with the V10.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

I slept last night, but woke up thinking about vans. DAMNIT!!

The busy pace of life is making me put off test driving anything in the near future anyway. But I can certainly scour the internet.

carringb has a good point about the 6.0l engines. I have had pretty good luck with mine and like I am doing now, did my homework before purchasing it. I also bought it new and towed very lightly with it for the most part. Buying used is a crapshoot even if the motor seems to be running strong when test driven. I guess this is true for any motor really, but repair and replacement costs for diesel motors are a very big bill.

Any preferred years on the V-10's??

I am trying for 2006 and newer. It would be amazing to get a 2010+, staying patient, have cash in hand.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #14

If money isn't your biggest obstacle then definitely go 2005 or newer and make sure it has the Torqshift! The quickest, easiest way to tell is if the shifter has a tow/haul button on the end rather than an overdrive button. This can be an easy way for, say, a salesman on the phone on a distant van to tell you. This is completely opinion but I'm not a fan of the newer front end so I would look for an 05 to 08 or whenever they changed it and save more money for upgrades. Anyway, your opinion may differ completely on the newer nose. The newer dash on those is a big upgrade IMO.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Flux;181329]I slept last night, but woke up thinking about vans. DAMNIT!!

Any preferred years on the V-10's?? /QUOTE]

I know and agree the 05 and up 5r110 is a nice transmission but I would not shy away from a 2001 to 2003 V10 if a deal came up. We have had ours for 13 years and it has been awesome. Absolutely, the V10 is a dream engine mated to either the 4r100 or 5r110.

The gearing differences between the two transmissions is in the lower gears, the top gear is the same. With a 3.73 rear end, I never felt like I needed another gear. Perhaps if you are towing often and medium to heavy, more and tighter gears spacing would be desirable.

If you find a 2001 to 2003 you like,imho and from experience, give it strong consideration.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #16

Funny. I like the new front end, but only when it has the flat black grill and lights like on the fleet vans. I would actually swap it out if and when I get the aluminess bumpers. The new cockpit and interiors are certainly nicer though.

I really do appreciate all the input here. Good thing is that it sounds like I really can't go wrong as long as I find the deal I need. But I will keep some notes and look for the best engine and tranny combo I can.

John Brindell at Agile Off-Road has responded to my emails making sure that they can convert these to 4x4. Nice customer service and much appreciated. Got the same from Sportsmobile about the top.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

Garage
Everyone here has more experience than I do with SMBs, but I just wanted to chime in for a second. I needed a van that would be super reliable and cost the least amount to drive over the 20k miles per year I will use it. I use mine for a 360 mile RT commute and live in it 2 nights per week. I live in the central rockies at 7000 feet and my weekly commute takes me over two 11,000 foot passes and one 9500 foot one.

I will drive my van about 20k miles per year, so a bit better mileage can make a huge difference for me, especially when gas and diesel prices go back up as we all know they will eventually. I was all set on 6.0, but I could not make the numbers add up when all the added maintenance and bulletproofing is included. The power of a V10 would be cool, but spending 15-25% more per year on gas doesn't make sense. For me that's about $1200 per year more, or about 170 six-packs, 1/4 of a new Yeti bike, 1/2 of a year's Coverdell contribution, etc., all to get me over those aforementioned passes 30 seconds quicker.

All that blather aside, my recently acquired SMB with 5.4 has averaged 15.4 mpg over the first 2968 miles I've driven it. Almost all those miles fully loaded with 3 bikes hanging off the back and half of those miles at 75-80mph. I expect it will go up a bit when I get to my normal commute and a max speed of 65mph and down a tad when I convert to 4x4. Not once over any Colorado passes like Fremont, Vail, Eisenhower/Loveland, Rabbit Ears, Monarch did I have to go under the speed limit because the van could't maintain it.

So anyway, if you're a cheapskate like me, a 5.4 can be a good solution.
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #18

All this love on the V10 makes me feel good about having one hahah! There is this for sale, just something to think about. I know this owner and the van it's really nice.
Sportsmobile, Quigley, 4x4, Ford E350, V10
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero View Post
All that blather aside, my recently acquired SMB with 5.4 has averaged 15.4 mpg over the first 2968 miles I've driven it. Almost all those miles fully loaded with 3 bikes hanging off the back and half of those miles at 75-80mph. I expect it will go up a bit when I get to my normal commute and a max speed of 65mph and down a tad when I convert to 4x4. Not once over any Colorado passes like Fremont, Vail, Eisenhower/Loveland, Rabbit Ears, Monarch did I have to go under the speed limit because the van could't maintain it.
That is my experience with my 6.0L. Similar millage, Same speeds, Same passes. I am 4x4 however, but that couldn't make that much difference.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero View Post

So anyway, if you're a cheapskate like me, a 5.4 can be a good solution.

How about we just say that we like to pay cash and not have too much financing going on. That is actually a big goal of mine. My preference here is to not finance too much of this project. Although I may have to do part of the van in order to get the 4x4 done all cash. The top will have to wait a little bit.

Your info is real good and I know those Colorado passes first hand having spent quite a few years living in the mountains and the front range. Biggest pass I do these days regularly is the Sherwin Grade which tops out under 8k, more like 7k I think.