Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

What's on your bottom?

As I have mentioned a few times, I am new to this. Until the days get long and the weather gets warm, I won't have as much opportunity as I would like to study my undercarriage (memorizing the terrain in my typical OCD fashion), to know what might fit there. I thought I would post a general survey question and ask people, outside of drivetrain and suspension components, what camper related items can go under your van?

As I plan, I am realizing how valuable interior 'real estate' is, and to be able to take things out of the van interior and free up space would be great. Added benefits might include lowering the center of gravity (I think a bit of an issue with many rigs). I have seen little snippets here and there, but that is not as easy to search as I would like, so I thought I would take the liberty of posing the question.

I would like to know about things like batteries and water talks (grey water, black, or fresh), as well as other things I may not have considered. Any thoughts, pros and cons, etc would be helpful, as well as item descriptions, location, maps, pics. etc.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Not a huge difference in lowering the CG, but a rear, underfloor storage area is one of the best options for getting things out of the living areas.

Herb
Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

CG was more of an added bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Not a huge difference in lowering the CG, but a rear, underfloor storage area is one of the best options for getting things out of the living areas.

Herb
When I was talking center of gravity, I was thinking mostly house batteries and water, but being efficient and maximizing interior space is probably my primary motivating factor.

When you say rear underfloor, are you talking about where the spare would be if it were moved elsewhere?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #4

I've intentionally kept everything inside because of temperature changes, meaning I don't want my water to freeze and I want my house batteries to stay at a somewhat consistent temperature. The only thing on the bottom is the intake and exhaust for my espar heater along with some big wiring for the ACR.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

House batteries on the passenger side frame rail is a good use of space, and allows use of Ford parts of desired.

I'm a big fan of rear underfloor storage, but honestly I'd rather have a 55 gallon rear tank. Storage can be moved elsewhere. Fuel not so much.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post

When you say rear underfloor, are you talking about where the spare would be if it were moved elsewhere?
Yes. Sometimes called a smugglers box. Here's a few links with pics. Makes the rear tire carrier mandatory unless your going roof storage but I'd image that'd be a PIA to deal with. Especially so if you're going to do a PH top.

link 1

link 2
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

I've got my house batteries and fresh water inside for cold weather use.

I've got my propane tank under the barn doors on the passenger side...I would never put that inside the van....If you have rear heat/air it can be tough to fit a propane tank on the driver's side, although there is a really skinny one available for VW vans that would fit on that side with rear heat/air.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I would never put that (propane tank) inside the van....
What is the bigger risk of propane inside the cabin? Are you more concerned about fire or asphyxiation? I have read that there are some ways to mitigate risk of propane leaks for an inside tank (sealed and properly vented box).

Not trying to make an argument for (or against), just trying to best understand the risks.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #9

Air compressor is another one that can go underneath, including tank if desired.

Another thing you can do but not a lot have is a Propex furnace underneath. They make an exterior mount model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #10

I've got air compressor with tank, air horn, 45 gallon transfer flow fuel tank, under floor storage, 4D house battery, 2-engine batteries, and flat plate hot water all underneath.

Tags
chassis, frame, undercarriage