Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: What's the best insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
Seems like a good idea. Please provide a link to the epoxied magnets.

Thanks

Tom
13lb pull force.
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info ... cts_id=697

They have lots of other magnets as well.

Herb

[EDIT: Lots of disclaimers from the above company, pasted below.
Neodymium magnets we sell are very strong. Handling them with care is necessary to prevent personal injuries, property damages and magnet damages.

Neodymium magnets are brittle; they can be broken or can splinter in a collision. One should wear gloves and protective glasses when handling these magnets, because splinters could disengage and fly from the magnets.

Normal Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetic properties if heated above 175°F (80° C). Higher temperature rare earth neodymium magnets are available in our store.

The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can damage items such as television, computer monitors, credit cards, bank cards, computers, diskettes and other data carriers, video tapes, mechanical watches, hearing aids, loud speakers and VCRs. Pace-makers may be damaged or switch to "Test Mode" in the presence of a strong magnetic force, if a pace-maker is in use, keep a minimum of 3 feet distance.

You should avoid having constant contact with magnets of any size and keep a distance of at least 3 feet to large magnets.

Children should not be allowed to handle neodymium magnets as they can be dangerous. Small magnets pose a choking hazard and should never be swallowed or inserted into any part of the body.

Under no circumstances should you try to cut, saw or drill the Neodymium magnets! Not only would the magnet break, but the resulting dust from the magnet is very flammable. Neodymium magnets should never be burned, as burning them will create toxic fumes.
]

Old 05-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

There are good applications for a number of different types of insulation throught the SMB.

We added Second Skin products over the rear wheel wells and covering the entire cab floor. The cab floor has two different products, one for sound and one for heat, and it has worked very well.

Second Skin has had some pretty decent sales lately also.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I used reflectix it works great as a sound dampner I also added Jute for more insulation . I would use it again.

If you go to my thread under "BettyWhite top added" you can see how i did it.

Ron
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #14

There is no debate possible about the best insulation available. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Aerogel will work perfectly on your new SMB and considering the cost of a new rig, Aerogel will not add an unreasonable amount to the overall cost.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #15

Aerogel sounds awesome, but with my quick research I determined it would cost me a couple thousand bucks just to insulate my fixed top. Now that's a lot of surface area to cover but I don't think that would compare very well to the other options I'm considering.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #16

I'm sorry, it was my sarcasm rearing it's ugly head. I know it is very expensive and the post was intended to be a bit of a joke about the prices of new SMB rigs. I realize as a homebuilder you will have both a different philosophy and no doubt, a different budget. It is pretty awesome stuff though!
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #17

Understood.

I'm a little slow. To tell you the truth, I was a little excited about the stuff.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote