Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Where to Route Espar exhaust?

My setup.

I'm no expert but I'd say don't even think about running a "T" into the van exhaust. I've only tore apart a Webasto but I bet the Espar is the same in that the internal van is plastic. Without the heater running the hot exhaust gases could backup into the unit and melt the fan.

Good news about the Espar muffler. With it installed you can't hear the "jet engine" noise the heater makes. It's very quiet.
Bad news. My Espar muffler leaks like a sieve.

In regards to Lens question, I'm east of the Mississippi. Come on down to WV and I'll give you a hand. As an alternative, if you don't want to drive that far , I'd suggest calling a local Freightliner (or other big rig) dealership and ask if they will do an install. These heaters are made for truck installs so if they don't do it I bet they could point you to someone who does.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #12

Good to know about the muffler! By your description, I 'm guessing I would have searched for one after hearing it run for the first time. I haven't finished the install, so I didn't know.

regarding install locations, ditto what wvvan said. I bought my espar from a big truck service garage. they do installs but they are 2 hours away so I had them ship the unit to me.

Thanks for the pics wvvan, it looks like you've been practicing with the new welder

For now, I attached the exhaust exit to the inside of the rocker panel just behind the rear tire pointed down. I guess i'll order up a muffler!

thanks guys.b
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #13

I install both the heater and the coolant heater, myself. The instructions put a limit on the length of exhaust, I think it was around 4 feet, on both units. I wanted to have the exhaust as far from the doors and windows as I could. That 4 foot length was not enough. I picked up some 1" aluminum tubing, which is bigger then the flex tubing that was provide and ran both exhausts to the rear of the drives side, just behind the tire. The heater exhaust is a bit over 6' and the coolant heater is just under 9'. The smooth wall and 1" ID of the aluminum tube makes this work very well. I installed these almost 4 years ago and have never had a problem. I don't have as good of pics as VWvan but here is what I have.

Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Espa exaust 1 .jpg   Espa exaust 3.jpg   Espa exaust 2.jpg  
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #14

I like how you finished it with the rigid pipe, much cleaner looking than the flex.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Site Team

I agree. A very professional appearance.
One question. How did you make the bends? Very smooth.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #16

The part you see with the bends in it is stainless tubing that I picked up from the remnants pile at a metal supply store. I had a local fabricator bend it for me. The aluminum tubing does not bend very much before it fails. That's why I went with the stainless for that part.
By the way, I also had some problems with leaks, like VWvan. I sealed them with high temp silicon and aluminum foil tape.
Cheers
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote