Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Windows: tint, curtains/shades and snaps

Time to increase the privacy in my van!

TINT. I suspect that the van came with pale factory tinting on the windows -- on frosty mornings I can see the residue of the PO's decals (SUPER KIDS DAYCARE) on the rear side windows (can't get that off ). The tint will need to be removed, and then new tint applied.

Do you guys have any suggestions about darkness, etc? I need a trade-off between being able to see out ('else I would have bought a cargo van) and privacy (rear bunk is at window level).

Alternatively, in my 1995 home brew I had perforated window film on the windows: opqaue black vinyl (in theory static cling), but with hundreds of small holes (total area about 15%), so that you could indeed see out, but it was almost impossible to see in. I got that off the rack at NAPA in 1995 but haven't been able to find it recently. I don't know what it's called. Ideas?

CURTAINS/SHADES. I'm not going to use Reflectix on a daily basis! I plan to put in curtains or shades (lined with blackout cloth) -- something that hangs or moves on tracks or rods. Since I have the factory plastic trim around all the windows, can anyone suggest ways of hanging? If you've used rods, how are they secured? Or do you have the tracks screwed directly into the plastic window trim? Camping World and similar seem to sell curtain fittings for RVs.

SNAPS. I'd also like to use snaps to secure window covering as well as an interior privacy curtain and eventually screen doors on the side and rear. Any suggestions? How well do the snap sets with screws work in the plastic window trim? Headliner?

Thanks!

GreyDawg

Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Windows: tint, curtains/shades and snaps

My only recommendation regarding window tint, especially given that you live in Texas, is that window tints are not created equal. Be sure to look for one with a high IR (solar heat) blockage to keep the heat down in your van.

Herb
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

Have you considered the SMB Day/Night curtains? They work well, let me see out (day curtain) while it is impossible to see in. In the night position you can't see out or in. For everything except the windshield and front doors.

For the front doors, I cut some corrugated plastic to fit. It 'snaps' into place and then stays. Can't see in or out.

For the windshield I use a universal windshield cover from Kragen's. Because the windshield is nearly rectangular, the cover fills it nearly completely. Similar to this:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDeta ... yCode=3183

But without the eyes.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I bit the bullet this morning on the window tint (easier on the weekdays than weekends, and a discount too!). I chose the bi-metal tint for maximum heat reflection, and then put limo tint (5% light transmission) on the rear-most long windows (where the bunk is), medium tint (20% light transmision) on the middle window on the driver's side and on the rear and side doors, and the only tint allowed on the driver/passenger doors. Makes quite a difference.

I'd been wondering about the fabric/hoop windshield covers: the rigid bubble/reflectix ones are bulky and awkward. I'll look for one...without eyes. . Thanks.

Thanks also for the coroplast suggestion for the door windows -- that will be perfect. I've got wind/rain deflectors on those windows -- they're great, wouldn't be without them -- so I can cut the coroplast short enough to allow the windows to be vented, yet it will still be rigid enough to snap in place. Excellent.

Day/nite shades would be a budget buster. Fortunately, I regard a sewing machine to be a power tool and can easily run up insulated window coverings as well as sheers. My challenge now is figuring out how to attach/hang them on the factory window trim.

Regards,
GreyDawg
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

GreyDawg I used simple thin curtain tracks screwed directly into the plastic trim. Mrs Saabman sewed some basic heavy fabric curtains together and we used (suggested by someone on the forum) some elastic strips to retain the lower part of the curtains...

+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

Saabman -- thanks so much for the information and photos. This is exactly what I needed to see: the track can be screwed into the plastic factory trim.

Today I stained the bunk base after work and will assemble it by week's end if the smell of the stain has finally vanished -- it is currently very strong. It is supposed to rain this weekend, so it might be time to sew!

Thanks,
GreyDawg