Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Gotta say Jsweezy, I am in the same boat as you... I currently have a 1997 full build SMB that I am considering selling in order to move toward a newer passenger V10 with either a Ujoint or a MG conversion. I love the flexability of the transformer setup and more importantly, as it stands, if we have a second child I will have to rebuild my current (~EB12) layout in order to accomidate safe seating.

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Garage
Yep, and the question of why not just add more windows came up and my response is this. These cargo vans are awesome with just the one side window and maybe some smaller ones in the back, why try to turn a cargo into a passenger van? I think each of them has their strengths and weaknesses, I just wish a I knew what I wanted a lot sooner ha ha!

If for whatever reason no one decides to buy this one before the van that I want sells then I will more than likely just add the windows but I'd hate to do that when I know someone would love to do a full interior build on this as it sits.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I could care less about the gears, I just brought that up because it means I could have this van 4wd with 4.30 gears using MGs kit in no time.

The main reason is because I don't want to do a full build out, I like the transformer idea so buying a 15 passenger van with windows means I pull the back 3 seats and I'm done with the interior. My family and I miss the windows and views we got with a passenger van as well. Also black v10 van with tan interior looks sweet.
Glad to hear I have set the trends on passenger 4x4 vans! You're welcome Admittedly, budget always dictates at my house.

Re: black van... While shopping I considered new(er) models to add 4x4 to later and I was coveting a black van with medium gray leather interior - pretty but very dark inside since the carpet and headliner was matching grey as well. I looked at it once and drove it once and that van was a heat box. I am surprised how much cooler HellBetty stays being black but with the light tan interior
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #14

I sold my SMB due to not using it much and not being able to do anything else with it other than use it for camping. My passenger van is the best setup for me being that I can move people or move a bunch of stuff and still be able to camp. Once I get a pop top installed, it will be the ultimate setup for me. I love all the windows on my van too!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I sold my SMB due to not using it much and not being able to do anything else with it other than use it for camping. My passenger van is the best setup for me being that I can move people or move a bunch of stuff and still be able to camp. Once I get a pop top installed, it will be the ultimate setup for me. I love all the windows on my van too!
It works well for transporting slightly used lift kits too. They're heavy ya know
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #16

Garage
GCVT - how's that lift feeling anyway? I also haven't told you yet but I love the picture with the flag, looks awesome.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #17

Garage
Awww, I thought you might miss those windows! I love mine, especially because the previous owner did such a nice job on the window tints! Friends always comment on the privacy it affords. Nice job, Sweezyman!

Good thing mine isn't a V10, cause when I come over to show you the Siennas and reupholstered front seats, the PhoTow might mysteriously get stuck in your driveway.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

Garage
Crl offers windows that fit in stock locations on a cargo. Easy installs and appear as a passenger van but have screens on each window for ventilation where the stock passenger windows dont. Plus they are way quieter when in motion than the pop out versions. Cheaper than swapping vans but you loose all the creature comforts of the passenger vans. Only windows I haven't located are the small quarter windows in the very back of the eb's. They exist, but I haven't located from who.

Cargo with crl windows. First glance it appears as a passenger vans till you zoom in.

The small quarter windows. Appear as stock but they are most definitely aftermarket.

You can have the small quarter windows made, but I haven't got an estimate yet. I think it would be super handy if they electronically swing out with buttons from drivers position like odysseys and siennas do. Talked briefly with ray about a group by in but agreed it would be hard to get enough folks onboard to justify the effort.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

Garage
Shenrie - Thanks for the info, I actually saw a van with that 3rd window like in the first picture and had been trying to relocate it ever since. Definitely the route I'm gonna go if no one wants to buy the van as a cargo. I have zero problems keeping it and just doing the interior if that's the case, but once the windows go in there's no going back so I'll have to make super sure it's what I want.

I guess I always liked this van as a cargo and didn't ever picture it being turned into a "window" van so the thought of (and ease) of just getting a different van and putting MGs kit on was my first thought.

Do you know if they have those same windows in the first picture without the slider portion along the bottom? Mine is currently leaking and I don't use the slider enough to justify fixing the seals every so often if that's what is gonna happen. I also feels like the slider portion kills some of the view.

Also, if I keep this van I'm pop topping it, so as far as ventilation goes I will just open that up.

Btw I saw your from Boise and my wife is from Nampa so the next time we go to visit her family we will have to link up!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:

Shenrie - Thanks for the info, I actually saw a van with that 3rd window like in the first picture and had been trying to relocate it ever since...
Np! Keep in mind that desert smb had a matching window on the passenger side that mimicked the oem glass really well. That's what got me considering going to more windows myself.

Quote:
Do you know if they have those same windows in the first picture without the slider portion along the bottom? Mine is currently leaking and I don't use the slider enough to justify fixing the seals every so often if that's what is gonna happen. I also feels like the slider portion kills some of the view.
I'm not sure if they offer windows without the sliders. They have tons of options, which kinda makes it a pita to order cause their site really does suck. I'm planning to stop and get exact dimensions from that smb to see if I can figure out which ones they are on the crl site.

Where is yours leaking from? I've had the same window on mine for a couple years now and haven't noticed any leaks. Would like to know where to look to keep an eye out if possible.

Quote:
Also, if I keep this van I'm pop topping it, so as far as ventilation goes I will just open that up.
I was thinking when you had passengers while in motion. My passengers absolutely love our little slider. They are also pretty handy while top is up for ventilation when playing the wind directions with rain. Just pretty handy in ways I hadn't accounted for when originally purchased.

Quote:
Btw I saw your from Boise and my wife is from Nampa so the next time we go to visit her family we will have to link up!
Lmk whenever your gonna be in town. Always game to meet another member and talk vans. There's even some pretty neat camp spots in Oregon just outside of nampa super easy to access for off season camping.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote