Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Re: 1994 E350 SMB SoCal

The symptoms are confusing and I haven't thought of a single thing that could cause them all, but:
  • Seller said the transmission oil level was a quart low, so I put in a quart before hitting the freeway.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Drove on the freeway for 100 miles, cruise control set to 65. All gauges (oil pressure, temp, battery) in normal range and plenty of fuel.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Exited freeway to bed down for the night, and engine died while rolling up the off ramp. I felt the steering getting heavier.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Turned the key and heard a brief metallic whine (with rising pitch) from behind the seats, near the side door. Motor didn't start and I coasted to a safe stop on a cul-de-sac.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Turning the key, sounded like the solenoid was engaging but the starter wouldn't turn.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Loose terminals on the 12V battery, but when the tow truck came jumper cables didn't change anything.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • The next morning at a small town mechanic off the freeway, tried jumping some more and swapping out the battery. Their conclusion is that the starter is fine but the motor is completely locked up and the flywheel won't budge. Their next step would be to pull off the torque converter and see if it's the engine or the transmission.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]
  • Also, the mechanic says a bolt head from the new suspension lift is rubbing on the oil pan. If it's leaking it's not obvious tho. The lift was just put in a couple weeks ago by the seller and it needs badly to be dialed in.[/*:m:d3ddq50r]

So for now my new toy is stranded in a tiny town in the San Joaquin Valley. Next weekend I'll get it towed all the way home (San Jose, CA) and see what it will cost to get to the bottom of the it all. Looking for a good Ford mechanic...

k2orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
What were the breakdown symptoms?
Ouch. Keep us updated. Sorry to hear of your troubles. You'll find lots of helpful advice here. Welcome and Congrats!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

So maybe I broke the timing chain and the valves smashed into the pistons, etc. Does anyone know for sure if the 351W is an interference engine? My preliminary search gave me conflicting info.

If I need a new engine anyway, does anyone happen to know if there is a more modern [gas] engine that is a drop-in fit? I don't plan to tow, so could tolerate smaller displacement and a smidge better fuel economy.
k2orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #14

Golly. I'm looking for a "new" van, and this is just the sort of tale that makes me nervous about a long distance purchase. <Gulp!>

Best of luck. Long ago I had a 1995 E250 with a smaller engine (sorry, can't remember what it was, just that was not the very smallest engine offered at that time, as a gear-head friend warned me off the tranny mated with the smallest engine), and ran it to 165K miles with no major issues.

I occasionally towed an 18' travel trailer or a pop-up trailer through the mountains of WA, OR and CA; plenty of power. IIRC I usually got about 19mpg on the highway, not towing.

--GreyDawg
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

You need to find someone who know what they are talking about.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
You need to find someone who know what they are talking about.
Agreed, if the guy knows anything, he should be able to diagnose this in about an hour. If I was closer, I would take a look at it for you. Find someone you can trust and let them look at it. Good Luck and sorry for the rough start on your new toy.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote