Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

1996 Ford E250 Sportsmobile RB30 - $17000

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/5116803471.html

Looks really clean. Pretty rare to see white/grey interior on this year SMB...makes it looks much newer inside.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Re: 1996 Ford E250 Sportsmobile RB30 - $17000

I have a sentimental fondness for the "stripers."

This cracks me up though (and no reflection on the current owner/seller as it was apparently an original owner decision):

Camper does not have a propane tank, original owner had it built without it for safety reasons but you could have one installed if you wanted. Stove has a connection underneath counter that hooks into small camp stove propane containers so it works with no problems.

Okay, so they forwent a built-in ASME tank -- engineered to typically last the life of the vehicle, and full of safety features, plus vented outdoors by design -- in favor of one-time-use disposable canisters that are probably made overseas and are not intended to be stored indoors at all.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva

Okay, so they forwent a built-in ASME tank -- engineered to typically last the life of the vehicle, and full of safety features, plus vented outdoors by design -- in favor of one-time-use disposable canisters that are probably made overseas and are not intended to be stored indoors at all.
All true.

I really dig the interior. It's the only one I've seen with my exact upholstery. I wish mine was that clean when I got it!

Oh, for the lookers, this is a 351, and it's also the first year of OBDII for Scanguage/CEL scanners and tuners (a very good thing). It's also MAF instead of speed density like the 95 back V8's, another very good thing. That's a nice van at a nice price. GLWS!
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

It is interesting that it has the propane tank door...

I have a Texas built '96 with the same layout and colors.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

I've got a well worn 91 RB30 I'd like to update to a nicer one like this. I have no need for generator or starcool. Is there any problems removing these items? I don't see any exterior venting other than exhaust for generator. Is there much of a market for used items like these for forum uses or others? I would want to install propane tank, seems like it should be straightforward but tanks aren't cheap? Anybody know a forum link to buying long distance? thanks to all, Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
It is interesting that it has the propane tank door...
Good catch; I hadn't picked up on that. It also has what looks like the standard propane stove (my '97 had one that looked just the same), and that stove would run on low-pressure gas (such as you would get with a built in tank and regulator), not the disposable canisters (which presume a regulator on the appliance). I'm sure you could rig it up to work somehow with disposable canisters and a separate regulator - or maybe they have a DOT tank and regulator under the counter (shudder), but why would you do that?

I'm not looking for a van like this at this time, but if I were I would want to figure out what was up with the propane system for sure. Not saying there is anything sinister going on, but it just doesn't totally add up from the photos/info from what I can see.

Does look like a nice van. My '97 was very similar but with slight variation at the back end, furniture wise. I found the layout to be great (my refrigerator was on the opposite side though, away from the gaucho bed).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote