Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

1999 Chinook Concourse V10- $18500

These seem to be popular among SMB folks, so I thought I would post this here. V10 with 70k miles. Ad says they added a Gear Vendors OD too. As most would say, "Just needs 4x4!"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/4932336674.html

Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: 1999 Chinook Concourse V10- $18500

They have a strong following like SMB but I can't seem to make myself like them. I know the build quality is there with the fiberglass and all but I can't imagine I would like a rear entry.

I think it could grow on me if they had fashioned some sort of bunk in there over the couch and dinette bed but I just don't see more than 1 or 2 people being able to camp out of it.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

I had an SMB with penthouse top, and now have a Chinook similar to the for sale one. The fiberglass shell is very nice (as compared to other cutaway RV's), as is the extra room -- and the limited sleeping accommodations aren't a problem for me (1-2 people max).

However, that said, I REALLY miss my side door! And I don't really need the "Class A" type luxuries that the Chinook provides. Chinook made a side door rig for a short period of time, but along with it came other compromises (full time bed, but no couch, tiny kitchen, reduced tankage, etc.). I think they only made it for a year or two.

I've seen an overcab bed in some of the older Chinooks on the Dodge Tradesman chassis, but on this one it would be a VERY low headroom setup.

I think my ultimate rig would be an EB SMB with a Voyager top (or maybe the other, higher top of which I can't remember the name at the moment), V10 or 5.4 (funny how the V10 is always the V10 and the 5.4 is always the 5.4). Probably 2WD which I could potentially convert to 4WD with the emphasis I'd choose (more of a Baja or get me down the backroads style than an all-out bouldering 4WD style).

It's always fun looking at and considering various rigs though, isn't it? There are many things about the Chinook I like and would miss going back to an SMB; but then there are things I really miss about my SMB!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
They have a strong following like SMB but I can't seem to make myself like them. I know the build quality is there with the fiberglass and all but I can't imagine I would like a rear entry.

I think it could grow on me if they had fashioned some sort of bunk in there over the couch and dinette bed but I just don't see more than 1 or 2 people being able to camp out of it.
Can't argue with that.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

All true Viva. Some of your points reflect my assumptions; however, I do like the wet bath on board (or think I would like one). Has that been a welcome addition or is the added maintenance of the black tanks a hassle?

I do enjoy the search though of "the perfect" class B setup. I'm not a fan of C's b/c they are so big (long and tall). I really enjoy parking in one space or 1.5 with an EB if you went that direction. My favorite production B besides some of the custom layout SMB's is the Winnebago Travato. The '15 with the optional kayak and bike racks with ladder is very impressive as is the selling price (although, still a bit rich for my blood) but I am impressed with the innovation of late and can't wait to see what else hits the markets in the next couple of years.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
All true Viva. Some of your points reflect my assumptions; however, I do like the wet bath on board (or think I would like one). Has that been a welcome addition or is the added maintenance of the black tanks a hassle?
I probably don't have the typical reaction to it all because I'm used to "primitive" facilities on boats, kayak trips, etc. (course SMB folks probably lean similarly!), but here are my thoughts:

1) The black tank part is fantastic.

--The first best thing is that the tank drains (grey and black actually both join up and use the same drain) are on the correct side! I was always driving the wrong way into dump stations with my '97 SMB (because the grey tank drain was on the "wrong" side as compared to the standard).

--Second, I find pulling up to a dump station, donning a pair of gloves, and draining the tanks (plus they have rinse hose there usually) to be fantastically easy.

--Third, the capacity is more than a Porta Potti (15 gallons black).

I have a Porta Potti on my boat, and it's not bad, but I'd rather dump the black tank than lug the Porta Potti. Either way has plusses and minuses though. Sometimes you can find a place to dump a Porta Potti but not a black tank, and vice-versa.

2) Having a "room" for the toilet is not that big a thing for me. I'd just as soon have more storage and slide the potti out into the aisle to use it (but of course that would somewhat preclude the black tank). I can see some people really liking that room/door though. Also, I'm traveling solo right now, but with another person it would be more of an advantage.

3) The wet/shower... I haven't actually used it yet! I guess I got used to not showering "indoors" on boats, and so far I'd rather either shower outside or at a campground or marina or etc. than get all clean and then squeegee/clean/wipe down the shower walls. BUT, I could see changing my tune on this in colder weather away from other showers.

4) The bathroom sink: A handy receptacle out of which things don't fall when driving (I tend to use the main sink).

So as you can tell, in a way the "room" is somewhat wasted on me at the moment. OTOH, having the black tank is great/handy. Also, because there is a shower (and because they had the space), the freshwater tank is much larger than my SMB (I think it was 8 gallons, this tank is 30 gallons), and the grey tank is comparable (not sure what the SMB was.... 10 gallons? Now I have 30). This gives me the capacity to stay out somewhere for two weeks if I want to which is sort of my max benchmark (that time period works well since a lot of public land has 14-day limit and by then I'm typically ready to move on/re-stock/etc. anyway).

It's funny about the rear door. In established campsites, it sort of feels wrong, because they are always geared toward a passenger side door. On the other hand, boondocking (which I prefer), it shouldn't really matter, but maybe it's a matter of habit. The van side doors certainly blur the lines between outside and inside better (much better). That is great when at a nice boondocking spot - the classic sort of place the "50" floorplan rocks. On the other hand, if traveling (and maybe at a rest area or a less wonderful camping spot) the separation can be nice for privacy; your living room isn't open to the world. A full life can be lived without going outside, which is nice for those less private spots or rainy days. There are big windows, so there is a great view. And the rear door makes for an efficient floorplan. On balance, I still miss the side door though. But like you say, all rigs have their plusses and minuses, and I have some things in this rig I didn't have before (outside storage bins, more space, chairs, bathroom, etc.).

The main thing for me with the SMB was the poptop. It was hard for me to pop, and as magical as it is, didn't really suit my purposes. I did consider changing my SMB over to a fixed top; if it had been an EB I probably would have. And an EB/Voyager top/gas engine/clean rig? I don't think I'd try too hard to resist that
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Nice write up on the Chinook. You should post some pics to your gallery if you get some time and I'll take a look.

Thanks Viva! Happy travels