Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #11

Ontario, California. Not Canada. Had to look twice myself.

VanDickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #12

Thank you all for your very valuable input. MSD and I attempted in another unrelated post to school some members on a subject of an overpriced top and we were slightly berated. All this information is great. It helps tremendously those that do not know #1 learn #2 not get taken advantage of. I like to see schooling of others in the knowledge that many of you/us have here. Please keep it up and maybe someday someone may have knowledge of something you know nothing about and save you some $ !!

To add on the speculation a minor point. The front seat belt anchor clip seams out of place just hanging there with the cylinder exposed leading me to think that the seats are definitely out of character. I know, when I swapped mine out the bracket did not work on the base that came with the different seats, so I had to rig it to with some welding and reworking. Beside it is too far forward because the picture angle is from rear to front and would probably delete seeing it at that height. It is definitely a coil suspension. It has the big dbl bushing radius arm setup. I do not know which after market companies use the new er style front radius arm front axle but this is not a leaf spring front end! Just my 2 pesos!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #13

Garage
Plus those stickers looked photoshopped
Old 07-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #14

04 6.0

I check out th his van out and posted about then got directed to this thread.
From my other post:

A local RV dealer has a "Sportsmobile" on their lot that I checked out.
First, it's not a real SMB. Someone just put stickers on it. Dealer has no build info other then carfax. It originally was sold in Arizona but had spent some time in San Diego and Florida.
It's a 2004 6.0. I snapped a few pix of the good bits to see it anyone had ideas. Its a solid axle coil conversion so that rules out Agile so I told them that if it's from some "other" SD shop (other than Weldtech) I'm running away faster than a transgender man in a women's 100 yd dash.

Any thing look familiar or alarming
Thx
Gar
GARhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #15

04 6.0

Here are a few pix of the van
Attached Thumbnails
20190706_185654.jpg   20190706_185702.jpg   20190706_185725.jpg   20190706_185754.jpg   20190706_185827.jpg  

Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #16

For spending some time in Florida it does not appear to have too much corrosion under the body.T case appears not to be a BW1356 could be a 271 but those things are huge. I am not sure why the comment of you'd run away if it was any "other than WeldTec". The radius arm drop down brackets appear to be manufactured and the pan hard bar is manufactured and welded in solid. I cannot see if the frame side was tied into the cross member, which would have been nice everything else appears to be factory parts. I would have leveled out the pan hard bar more on the axle side to make it parallel to the steering link and supported more the frame side. Every thing else looks solid
Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #17

04 6.0

I was implying that if it's a Crow's 4x4/Javier conversion I wouldn't touch it, too many horror stories. As everybody knows, they/he is out of San Diego where the van was located for a short time after bought from auction.
The RV dealer is trying to obtain information regarding the conversion and has already been in contact with Sportsmobile and was told they didn't do it.
I feel the RV dealer was being up front with me but told them they had 3 strikes against them...1) they listed it as a Sportsmobile when it clearly wasnt 2) they also list it as a Class B RV when it is registered as a commercial van & 3) no information regarding the conversion i.e. who did it, what year parts were used. Then add how bad the 6.0 stumbled and popped on the test drive equaled a big no thank and glwts.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #18

With all that sounds like a strike out and a agent release is in order. The drive train seems to be in order by pics posted but when you described the 6.0 pop and stumble with an already marginal engine at the price requested I beleive a reconsideration is well in order. At $15K if you had to throw $6-7K bullet proofing engine work you woul then be at ballpark resale value.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #19

A couple other conversion observations:

1) It does not look like the radius arm brackets were offset to compensate for the wider E-series frame. If you look at QuadVan/ExpoVans/CCV brackets, they have an offset to bring the radius arm inboard, so the arms are parallel. This is isn't a great pic, but I don't think that was done. having a trapezoidal layout with the radius arms will likely cause some severe Death Wobble if anything triggers bump steer.

2) The Drag Link and track-bar are not parallel. This thing will have some bad bump steer.

Makes me wonder if thing thing wasn't sold to auction with so few miles because it's nearly un-drivable. I wouldn't take this thing for free. There's better vans out there that will be less headache.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #20

After a second look, It looks to me that the gusset part of the radius arm drop down brackets line up directly under the bottom of the van frame which would set the the radius arms inward (closer to each other), how much, I can't tell. Is it sufficient, can't tell. As I mentioned earlier I would have improved the Panhard bar angle. I would have brought the frame bracket down further but preferably the axle side up further. I do not think the flaw is so much in the conversion as it appears. The bones (factory parts) are there but yes it needs revamping. My bigger concern would be the popping and sputtering of the 6.0 that is why I do not thing $13-$15K would be a bad start!