Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

2006 V10 Club Wagon in Austin, TX

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1637217107.html

Kicking this van around. The seller says he bought it from the State of Utah. Wondering what others here thought of the price and if anyone was familiar with buying from the State of Utah. I tried to find this van in past auctions on the Public Surplus website, but no luck.

I have a 2wd 2004 V10 Club Wagon that's been great... I just want to get 4x4.

Thanks!
John

Keytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #2

Re: 2006 V10 Club Wagon in Austin, TX

The only thought I can give is to watch for rust. A lot of the 15 passenger 4x4 vans out here (in Utah) are used as shuttles for the ski resorts. I've got a '92 that was used for that and is rusting everywhere. Pretty easy to see though. I got it for a good deal and am going to beat it up some more so I wasn't terribly worried.

The other thought I have is are they sure it's a Quigley? A lot of the resorts we have out here use Advanced 4WD to convert their vans. If that's the case, they probably have some history of where's it's been used. Quigley might even have that if you could get the VIN and make a phone call.
getout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #3

That seems like a pretty decent price to me.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

Seems odd. This one has been on craigslist before and was removed (or expired?) I talked to the guy on the phone. When I asked about having seen this van listed previously, he said he specializes in 4x4 vans and had sold 4 in the last 10 weeks. He also said he was going to put roofracks on this one and then the price would go back up to 25k from 19k. All I could think was that they would have to be pretty nice roofracks to raise the price 6k. Just got a weird feeling from this guy (I was in the market at the time but couldn't seem to have a good conversation with him about the van) FWIW.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
Seems odd. This one has been on craigslist before and was removed (or expired?) I talked to the guy on the phone. When I asked about having seen this van listed previously, he said he specializes in 4x4 vans and had sold 4 in the last 10 weeks. He also said he was going to put roofracks on this one and then the price would go back up to 25k from 19k. All I could think was that they would have to be pretty nice roofracks to raise the price 6k. Just got a weird feeling from this guy (I was in the market at the time but couldn't seem to have a good conversation with him about the van) FWIW.
I hate that type of sales tactic. Worked in New York for a while. Opening of negotiations usually started with shouting at each other and pounding on the table. Two weeks (and $$$ in fees later) we all went to closing dinner and everything was fine. Have a mechanic check it out, check the carfax, give him your number, then tell him 15 is your final offer and it expires in 5 minutes. Walk away and see what happens. Just a thought. YMMV
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Yep, told me just about the same thing. He's asking $19950 and the price was gonna jump $5k. I said that's pretty steep for a grill guard and a rack. He said they cost $2k and he needed that much to cover it. Either labor down yonder is outrageous or someone was skipping math class and smoking doobies.
I dropped him a note asking for the VIN so I could check out its history, but his response is a bit slower this time. Hmmm.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
Quote:
I hate that type of sales tactic. Worked in New York for a while. Opening of negotiations usually started with shouting at each other and pounding on the table. Two weeks (and $$$ in fees later) we all went to closing dinner and everything was fine. Have a mechanic check it out, check the carfax, give him your number, then tell him 15 is your final offer and it expires in 5 minutes. Walk away and see what happens. Just a thought. YMMV
I agree. Sales tactics in general just leave me with the urge to hit the showers and clean the cheese off. I like your approach, though. Might have to use it.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

BTW, the seller apparently bought it at an auction from the state of Utah. I did some searching online and found the Public Surplus auction page, but didn't see any auction results including this van. Anyone familiar with other auction locations online?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #9

It would be easier to just ask him to furnish the paperwork proving where it came from. I doubt it will happen, just about as much as I doubt it came from an auction in Utah.

We went to buy my dad's Cherokee which was lot priced at $5000 a few years ago. When we tried to haggle the guy produced paperwork "proving" the Jeep was bought at auction for $4900 and they had since put new tires on it. Clearly if we walked away he was going to correct the mistake, because we were actually getting it at cost, or below if you consider the tires.

Ha! Couldn't help notice an identical filing cabinet next to where he pulled the paperwork out of. I'd bet donuts to dollars that he had a near-cost sheet on every vehicle on the lot and a mirror file on every one showing the real info.

We bought it anyway as 5K was a good price, but yeah, it sucks to deal with dirty salespeople.