Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

2008 Ford E-350 Quigley 4X4 ** Only 90,000 Miles ** Extra Clean **

Looks promising: Asking $28K
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Ford-E...-/153489985893

VanDickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Agree.... Really nice, clean van... definitely an unusual color, V10, all the power options.. Kind of makes me wondered who was the original owner or why the dealer spec'd it this way.

Only thing that irks me about these is that it's always the dealers that have them, and you know they had to have found them somewhere for far less than what they are asking.

An asking price in the lower-mid 20's (Eg: We cut out the dealer middle-man) would make it far more compelling if we look at it for what it is, a 11 year old cargo van with 100K miles. Think there's a pretty big premium for these just because it's a van instead of a pickup.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Agree.... Really nice, clean van... definitely an unusual color, V10, all the power options.. Kind of makes me wondered who was the original owner or why the dealer spec'd it this way.

Only thing that irks me about these is that it's always the dealers that have them, and you know they had to have found them somewhere for far less than what they are asking.

An asking price in the lower-mid 20's (Eg: We cut out the dealer middle-man) would make it far more compelling if we look at it for what it is, a 11 year old cargo van with 100K miles. Think there's a pretty big premium for these just because it's a van instead of a pickup.
Most of the vans that go through quigley are fleet vehicles of one sort or another. Those fleet vehicles are often sold via auctions at specific break points (e.g. Enterprise/Fedex/DHL will keep their vans for X years or Y miles). Most small dealers use the auction system to find and stock their lots. So I think the answer to your question is most likely auctions. That is the only place you can reliably get vehicles low enough price to then make a profit. No doubt they occasionally get them on trade but generally I find that less likely.

This particular van is unique in that it has the third captains chair. Not sure what to make of that in terms of guessing at its history but def makes it a bit unique.

As for the price, you know as well as I do that these vans didnt come stock 4x4, like trucks did. That makes a very distinct value added difference. For every 4x4 van there are dozens of 4x4 trucks. This is simple supply and demand economics combined with lack of ability for me to go "oh I dont like your price I will go to your competitor over there".

Very likely my options are buy the van with the work done or by a RWD van and pay 17k+ to have it converted. Given that KBB right now has this valued at 9k - 11k with the avg being $10,500 add 17k for your avg conversion cost and you are right at their asking price. Most dealers price a bit higher than their actual number knowing people haggle. So all in all I dont think 28k is all that bad of a price given year, low miles for the year, and added options (third seat, power, etc).

Had I not found my dream van with the 7.3, this would have been a very tempting proposition for me and I think someone will get a great van for a solid price (not an amazing deal mind you but not really leaving money on the table either).
renegadeoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeoverland View Post
Very likely my options are buy the van with the work done or by a RWD van and pay 17k+ to have it converted. Given that KBB right now has this valued at 9k - 11k with the avg being $10,500 add 17k for your avg conversion cost and you are right at their asking price. Most dealers price a bit higher than their actual number knowing people haggle. So all in all I dont think 28k is all that bad of a price given year, low miles for the year, and added options (third seat, power, etc).
Maybe not a "bad" price, but they definitely aren't making it a good deal.

The best deals are when the seller is totally oblivious as to what it is they have, run it through KBB as "average" and then take off 20% because they want a quick sale. The challenge in that is finding the numptys and separating them from the scammers.

Seen Border Patrol vans, EB Quigley V10, 2010+ w/ 30K mi for $30K on Ebay too. Maybe not "loaded" with options, but for having 1/3 the mileage, EB, etc etc, it does make for a compelling argument to buy one of those over something like this.

For those of us who enjoy the smell of diesel with our coffee in the morning, there are these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-E-Seri...cd88%7Ciid%3A1
Of course, looking back through that ad, they've since added 2x as many pictures as they initially had and some aspects look kinda beat. But for a 6.0 diesel w/ 45K miles & 4x4 conversion, if you were willing to scrounge some parts from the junk yard to un-screw some screwed up portions of the van, it'd be a really, really nice van.

I suppose my only other concern is that it looks like a base XL with none of the power wiring. But I have seen some pretty good deals roll by in the past.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

I don't think its a bad price, and I bet you could get it cheaper by contacting the dealership outside of eBay and making an offer.

Non-white van probably adds $1K - $2K to the price.

Herb
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Non-white van probably adds $1K - $2K to the price.

Herb
Yep.... Apparently when purchasing a $40-90,000 truck from Ford (To include things like the King Ranch/Platinum/Ultimate..), ticking the box to say "I'd like something other than white" for somewhere between $500 and FREE, is too challenging...

Anyone know how much triple power options (Windows, Locks & Mirrors) cost as 'options'? They couldn't have been that ludicrously expensive.... Yet finding XLT's with them seems uncommon.

Same could be said for the V10. Wasn't that only a $300-600 option over the 5.4?

--
Yeah, there are lots of simple and stupid options that cost nothing from the factory that add a lot of value in the aftermarket for trucks... I'm sure the keyless/code entry on econolines didn't hardly cost anything at all either, can't recall the number of times I've walked out to mine without my keys and it wasn't an issue, yet for over two years of looking at all econolines (nevermind 4x4 econolines), I've seen two(2) in the U.S. with this option...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
... I'm sure the keyless/code entry on econolines didn't hardly cost anything at all either, can't recall the number of times I've walked out to mine without my keys and it wasn't an issue, yet for over two years of looking at all econolines (nevermind 4x4 econolines), I've seen two(2) in the U.S. with this option...
If your van has factory power door locks, you can add the factory Ford keypad afterwards. Essentially it's an affixed remote.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ypad-6164.html

Herb