Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

2011 SMB EB in central PA Nice! Ebay

Not mine. Looks really nice, though! In south-central PA, just south of Gettysburg. Starting at $35,000 with reserve not met.

2011 Ford E-350 Sportsmobile | eBay

Ford E-350 Sportsmobile Van. 5.4 V8, automatic transmission with overdrive, ps, pb, pw, pm, ac, cruise control, am/fm/cd, 34,500 miles, Cabinets cherry color, interior height 6ft 10in, Power top, 20 gal fresh water tank, Danhard A/C system, Propane cook top, Refrigerator, Microwave, Shower and Marine style toilet enclosure, 2.8 Gas Generator, 5.5 gal Propane Tank, Passenger Captain swivel seat, Fiberglass Running Boards, Exterior Tire Carrier, Lots of storage space. Very clean and well maintained!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Interesting. Interior and pop top sure look like pure SMB, but the fiberglass running boards don't look like SMB.

I never quite understand why people start an auction at a lower price than their reserve.

Herb
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

My 98 SMB had the same running boards from the factory (Indiana), and I've seen them on other SMBs, too.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

SMB North does some of those running boards. Glider's van had them with the conversion too, same exact ones.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

This rig is still shown on SMB Austin's pre-owned for sale page IDed as SOLD. Same VIN and many of the same images.
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I never quite understand why people start an auction at a lower price than their reserve.

Herb
^^ +1 for this sentiment!! Agree agree....mostly.

While I'm sure many professional auctioneers will say that there's some amount of value in starting bidding artificially low, in order to "make a lot of people feel able to be part of the bidding action," generate interest in "finding the reserve," and create a "hot auction" where people observe a lot of bids/apparent interest.....

And of course you lend the early bidders the impression that the reserve might possibly be low, so there's the lure to many buyers/bidders at the beginning of the auction that they might possibly "take it home for a steal." Again, you're building the emotional connection, "hooking" a lot of bidders, and ramping up the bid count/interest in the auction. Carefully building towards a hopeful potential huge, final bidding bonfire....by starting out really small, with lots of harmless small-bid kindling. Stoke it properly.

....but an auction like **this one** where the specified starting bid is already a pretty significant value ($35k) and still hasn't hit reserve is seemingly guaranteed to turn off the majority of potential bidders. Nobody is going to throw their hat in the ring to start this auction rolling unless they're prepared to chase a reserve price that likely won't be a steal by any means. It's like trying to start a campfire by trying to first light a 12-inch-diameter log with a match. So yeah....I don't see/understand what kind of winning auction sales formula they think they're applying here either.

All that said --- IMHO.....if this rig had a V10 instead of the 5.4, it would be worth at least a *little* price chasing!

That cherry-wood interior build is indeed beautiful. Anyone can easily picture a stunning overall rig build lurking here, once those fiberglass boards were to be removed and a quality 4WD conversion / Aluminess stuff were to be applied.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote