Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #21

Re: $4500 bugout van!!--powerstroke in running order

In reply to dhally and "holy grail". The "holy grail" refers to the 7.3 liter from 99.5 to late 2003. The engine in the add is a 96 which, while not horrible, is not the 7.3 everyone wants. In sportsmobile speak, the upgraded version of "holy grail" is van with low miles, said year engine, and sportsmobile 4x4 conversion vs quigley. Two or three have popped up for sale in the last several years and were snatched up.

Repeat, 1996 7.3 liter does not add $5k to the price.

catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #22

in response to catmandu--i am on here for help and dont know alot about sportsmobiles but i can assure you that the 7.3 powerstroke you would want is a94.5 thru early 99 due to these years still have the forged internals.some internal parts were cast during late 99 and newer models(for what reason well never know!!).i have had a 7.3 powerstroke with over 500k and it ran good til i traded it!!search youtube for 1.4 million mile e 350 7.3...or 900.000 powerstroke or million mile powerstroke!!they will run forever if you continue to put injectors in every 300k or so..swamps does guarantee theirs for 250k though so that would be a nice built in warranty if i follow thru with all of this!!the 99 and newer were better in regards to the slit shot injectors,the intercooler and the electric fuel pump but the intercooler and e-fuel conversion can be done fairly cheap from scrapyards.the splitshot injectors are a non issue for me because plan on putting stage 1 or 2 injectors in it w a 6 position chip!!who needs split-shot!! ---BTW i drove the e350 on craigslist on carbondale il site and it fired right up-he had it plugged in and it also has a battery maintainer that plugs in also!!fired right on up and idled smooth.im on the fence but im getting ready to fall of on the side of buying it because i think the guy was being honest with me and the engine oil looks very clean.his friend and him were working on another diesel truck when i got there and both of them seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about mechanics in general and apparently are the neighborhood mechanics as people pulled up and talked with them while i was there talking about what work they wanted done,etc.there was about ten trucks sitting around to be worked on or whatever and this made me leary at first as i was wondering if they had it long but the guy selling it said the title will tell the truth and hes had it a year and a half.it is apparently his fleamarket and swap meet truck along with the camper capability!!just seems to be the right deal at the right time for me!!now ill just have to talk her into it all and make her see it my way!!well,thatll be easy right??its Christmas so i better get into the extra Christmas spirit here!!maybe she will get into it!!i need to show her the other van so she will see the potential!!--but i am thinking i would get a better deal on it if i make a move before Christmas because i sensed money might be tight but he also seems like hes not gonna come down much if any--he said i would have to see cash to do any negotiating on it..lol..well,wish me luck guys--i need to figure this out before it is too late ..or am i just putting pressure on myself??Merry Christmas fellas !!
pontorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #23

@Pontirelli: please put in some paragraph breaks when you write. Want to hear what you have to say, but really hard to read!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #24

understandable my friend!!--you should talk to me in person!!--lol--thanks for the heads up.i have the same problem when im reading other posts so i will keep an eye when im rambling on and on!!
pontorelli is offline   Reply With Quote