Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

87 Toyota Sunrader 4x4 RV

Not a Sportsmobile but these are pretty cool and very rare. Owner confirmed on expo portal that the reserve is set at 18k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231094397057

Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Re: 87 Toyota Sunrader 4x4 RV

That is pretty cool!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Garage

very cool! ive never seen anything like that before. lots of toyota 2wd's, but being 4x4 is a first for me. even had the 22ret motor. bet its still a slug though, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
very cool! ive never seen anything like that before. lots of toyota 2wd's, but being 4x4 is a first for me. even had the 22ret motor. bet its still a slug though, lol.
Yeah my guess is about 60-65 mph max on the highway. Says it's 135 HP which is not a lot for how much that thing weighs..
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5

I looked at Toyota Motorhomes for a long while. There's quite a cottage industry of folks who refurbish them and flip them. I think the last ones were made in 1992.

The Sunrader is generally considered the best of the crop as the wood frame/aluminum siding motorhomes had the usual leakage problems.

I really like the idea: a small cab-over on a midsize truck. But in this case the Toyota truck generally isn't up to the task, and many models were at or above GVWR empty!

In 2014 GM will reintroduce the midsize Canyon and Colorado pickups. I wonder if anyone will try to make a small class C on those?

The Tiger Provan is a really nice truck based Class C (and I believe the only one now produced; Scotty discontinued their Dodge Cummins based motorhomes in 1994); alas, they're also very pricey!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

4x4 Sunraders are very rare -- there were only 26 of them made. Most of them are in the hands of serious aficionados who are members of the Toyota Motorhome group who have refurbished them quite nicely. Occasionally one of these comes up for sale, and depending on the level of upgrades and how well it has been cared for, the price is usually in the $14,000 to $20,000 price range.

I owned a 1985 Toyota 4X4 Sunrader and just sold it this past April (in 1 day). It was in far better shape with a lot more upgrades/restoration. It was indeed a head turner! It had the 22RE with a 5sp and I had no problem cruising down the highway at 70/75. Some steep hills required me to hang in the right lane but hey, it was a 4cyl and with an average of 17 mpg, I couldn't complain. I never did weigh it, but to be honest the 22RE never felt overworked.

In my opinion, I believe the 18K reserve is set a little high and I will be surprised if he gets it….. but it all depends on who is willing to pay to have that "one".

Attached Thumbnails
Image.jpg  
RoxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
I looked at Toyota Motorhomes for a long while. There's quite a cottage industry of folks who refurbish them and flip them. I think the last ones were made in 1992.

The Sunrader is generally considered the best of the crop as the wood frame/aluminum siding motorhomes had the usual leakage problems.

I really like the idea: a small cab-over on a midsize truck. But in this case the Toyota truck generally isn't up to the task, and many models were at or above GVWR empty!

In 2014 GM will reintroduce the midsize Canyon and Colorado pickups. I wonder if anyone will try to make a small class C on those?

The Tiger Provan is a really nice truck based Class C (and I believe the only one now produced; Scotty discontinued their Dodge Cummins based motorhomes in 1994); alas, they're also very pricey!

AFAIK, this is the closest thing to the old short Toyota class c being made now (the Eagle Cap 19). No 4x4 option, though, unless you took it to a 3rd party. Right now, they are the only game in town other than Provan.

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content/up ... ochure.pdf
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote