Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

92 price and mileage ok?

I am going to see a 1992 Ford Sportsmobile. The price is just over 6000, which seems pretty good to me if everything works and the interior isn't too funky

However, it has 170k miles on it. The guy says it runs well, but such high mileage has me a little concerned. At the same time, my car has 150k and is running like a champ so maybe 170 isn't so bad.

This will be my first Sportsmobile, and I wanted something a little cheap to start with so I can make sure I'll actually use it, but I don't want to be immediately plagued with repairs.

What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
inside.jpg   side.jpg  

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Re: 92 price and mileage ok?

Looks nice. I'd be concerned about the layout being right for you more than anything else. Repairs will need to be done on a used vehicle, but the last thing you want to find yourself doing is completely changing an RV to be what you "should" have bought in the first place.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Does the seller have a comprehensive stack of repair receipts? If so, look through them and see if regular maintenance has been done, and if typical wear items have already been replaced.

At $6k I'd say it's a good deal, as even if you put another $4k into fixing little things here and there it you'll still have a nice SMB, IF, as Silver350 says, it's the right layout for you.

There are lots of Ford vans with more miles than this still running strong, so I wouldn't say the miles are a deal-breaker. I'll take a well-maintained, higher mileage van over one that's been sitting for ages and hasn't had regular maintenance.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'll take a well-maintained, higher mileage van over one that's been sitting for ages and hasn't had regular maintenance.
Ditto that!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

I agree with Brian. 170K is not very many miles for a Ford van, mechanically speaking. 500K is.
The interior wear with 170K might be a different story. Make sure everything inside works and that the upholstery's not all beaten-down and it might definitely be worth that price.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

similar van 1993 with 120,000 is for sale at $12,900 so this seems more than reasonable.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback! This is super helpful to consider when I check it out.

I know Ford vans can get pretty high in the miles, but I wasn't sure what the tipping point would be.

The layout seems ok. Maybe not ideal, but I've changed my mind about 7 times as to what I'd want (RB 50/rear dinette/gaucho, porta-potti/marine toilet, and even RB/EB). I guess its the girl in me.

I finally figured it'd be best to get a lesser expensive used one and actually experience the pros and cons. Then I can pursue a newer used or perhaps even a custom model.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

I recently purchased a 1994 GMC SMB for $8k with 117k miles on it and just returned home Sunday from a 4500 mile roadtrip. The only thing I've done is an oil change. When I had the oil changed in Texas the guys came up from down below and couldn't believe it was a northern vehicle. Said they had never come across one that nice underneath that had spent its entire life in the north. Just proves that there are good ones out there.

I'm like you and didn't want to sink a ton of money into something before seeing how well it fit our travel style and so far we love it. The layout is good but we're already thinking about things we want to change in our next one which I think will be a home build.

Rusty...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #9

Thanks Rusty.

That is what I am hoping for too.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

So did you ever go take a look at it and what was the out come. Thanks
Pismobound is offline   Reply With Quote