Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #1

Garage
'99 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 on ebay

This looks like a great place to start. Arizona Location.
No Affiliation...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111444315949...:SS:SS:US:1120

1999 DIESEL VAN 4X4 FULLY RESTORED NEEDS NOTHING ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW..... HERE ARE SOME OF THE PARTS RECENTLY INSTALLED I HAVE TITLE ON HAND READY FOR SALE IF WINNING BIDDER IS FROM OUT OF STATE ILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO PICK YOU UP AT FLAGSTAFF, AZ AIR PORT. ARIZONA 86001OR I CAN STORED VAN TILL READY TO BE PICK UP BUT NEEDS TO BE PAID OFF FIRST

NEW TIRES ALL 295/70/17 LOAD 'E' ALL NITTO TERRAIN

NEW FORD OEM ALUMINUM RIMS ALL 5 POWDER COATED BLACK

NEW FRONT BUMPER POWDER COATED BLACK

NEW 12500 LBS WINCH

NEW 24" INCH LED LIGHT BAR

NEW 4 LED YELLOW FOG LIGHTS

NEW REAR BUMPER WITH SPARE CARRIER POWDER COATED BLACK

NEW FULL ROOF RACK WITH 2 SIDE LADDERS JUST PAINTED BLACK

NEW PAINT COLOR OF THE 2013 JEEP WRANGLER

NEW REAR CARPET
NEW REAR VIEW CAMERA

NEW SHAFTS FRONT AND BACK

NEW SHOCKS ALL WAY AROUND PRO COMP 9000 NITROGEN CHARGE 4IN LIFT 8FT 3IN HIGH

NEW STEREO WITH AUX AND IPOD CAPABLE

FRONT AXLE 2007 DANA 60 WITH 4;10 GEARS

REAR AXLE 2007 10.5 STERLING LIMITED SLIP 4:10 GEARS

NEW TOW HITCH RATED 10,000 LBS

NEW DOUBLE FRONT STABILIZER SHOCKS
REBUILD TRANSMISSION
NEW TORQUE CONVERTER

NEW DEEP OIL PAN

NEW FAN CLUTCH

RADIATOR WAS REMOVE AND FLUSH NEW ANTIFREEZE 7 THERMOSTAT.

NEW SERPENTINE BELT

MAJOR MAINTENANCE DONE 3000 MILES AGO..
All OIL, FUEL FILTER, OIL FILTERS CHANGED RECENTLY
QUAD VAN SPECS ALL FORD OEM PARTS
BUILT BY CROWS 4X4 OUT OF SAN DIEGO

OVERALL VAN IS GREAT NO ISSUES LET ME KNOW..

MILEAGE ONLY ON ENGINE RUNS GREAT DOESN'T SMOKE OR HAVE BLOW BY THIS ENGINES ARE GOOD FOR A 500K OR MORE VAN IS A FRESH RESTORATION AND NEWER 4X4 SYSTEMS...I WILL REMOVE VAN FROM AUCTION WITH RIGHT OFFER OR BID TO WIN. THESE VANS ARE HARD TO GET....THANKS. CASH TALKS.

BOUGHT VAN RECENTLY AND THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BE ABLE TO GO ADVENTURING OVER THE NEXT YEAR AND SITUATION HAS CHANGED. OTHERWISE I WOULD NOT GET RID OFF. LOVE VAN. THESE GO FOR $80K TO $90K BUILT OUT. THIS ONE IS HALF WAY THERE. CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS SIXONESEVENFIVEONEZEROFIVESIXZEROSIX TEXT OR CALL

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

Re: '99 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4 on ebay

You may want to ask some questions to confirm, but I believe this is a "Javier van." I have never seen one myself so I cannot attest to their build quality personally, but there has been some not so great feedback on their build quality from a couple of trusted members who know their stuff.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

Possible water damage vehicle? Not sure just throwing it out there.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

In all honesty how can this rig be priced so low?

Is the 254k miles that is keeping the value down?

Honest questions from a wannabe owner.

@Gh0ztkid21 what would make you think h20 damage?
johnjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #5

No idea about water damage, but I'm pretty sure this conversion was done in Mexico and is being sold by Javier who has them done and sells them. UJoint has a post about some work he did redoing one of these. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #6

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14372&hilit=Javier
Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjames
It's not priced low, it's an auction, the reserve is not met yet, and there are 8 days left to go.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjames
It's not priced low, it's an auction, the reserve is not met yet, and there are 8 days left to go.
I would imagine their reserve is 30k+
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

That van could probably be had for around $20k, perhaps even take some. Yes, that's one of the Javier/Crows/Tijuana conversions. No question. I own one.

I think I've re-done and fixed everything at this point and mine finally drives really nicely. I got it in 09 and it was a workable van for us in the interim, and has been pretty good in terms of working with a budget. I still think this could be an OK starting point for someone that goes into this with their eyes wide open. Very wide open. They are not free of deception and should be subject to a professional safety inspection.

Stuff on my van that crossed the line for me:

Warning bulbs for brakes removed to cover up having the incorrect ABS sensors. (Oddly that failed, I had an OBD scanner that told me about that at time of sale). However, for years, I didn't realize that I had a disabled brake warning lamp that may tell you about a couple of brake failure modes that could be dangerous.

The speed sensor was connected to the transfer case. The wires were just twisted together, but honestly did hold for years. However, the move behind the t-case is wrong on the van, you're better off having the speedo off in low range and having the transmission shift correctly. In order to do the move something was reprogrammed, except not correctly (13% off, I learned this by wondering why traffic in LA was moving so slowly as I was flying past them -- might have been nice to have been told that, I would have been OK with it). Moving it back was simple enough, though I never did figure out how to get to the setting in the ECU on my year van, and had to way-way down convert the signal.

Other stuff that was wrong:

The front caster was negative due to how the lift was done. I have a lot of lift in front and less in back which actually makes this less severe on my van than one that would also have lots of lift in back. I'm not sure it would even be fixable on a higher lift van. This really would have remained workable if I hadn't recently spent a couple weeks working out that the bushings on my rear springs had gone (normal wear on these vans) and I was fighting a randomly self steering rear axle (thank you John B. at Agile for pointing me at that!!!). I ended up fixing the caster first and it took it from terrifying to a problem that I could fight reasonably while driving, but still wanted to fix.

The (new at the time) shocks used were inadequate, and I ended up replacing them with new similar ones before I realized that they were simply not up to the task of a heavy van that I run on rough roads. (The fox upgrade for the van was shockingly much cheaper than a fox fork for a mountain bike, so just do that.) Other conversions have not been immune to that either though.

Finally, these are old vans that they convert, mine needed a radiator from the get-go and many miles / years later a transmission. I consider this normal for the age and mileage and don't fault them for that. Mine did come with newer v10 (replaced by kswb, the previous owner), so I may have had fewer problems than others with the older van. I spoke with a couple that got a higher mileage 6.0 from them and I got the impression that they were told that it had recently been gone through and upgraded in a number of ways when perhaps it wasn't. (This last bit is hersay and I couldn't tell to what extent they just didn't realize the upkeep that an older 6.0 requires.)

All that said, at the time (and in 09 stuff was cheaper, no one felt like spending big money, our largest customer, a major NYC bank closed their doors a couple months after I bought it), I didn't pay much over what I could have gotten the used van plus the axles for.

Edit: Mine only came with their 4x4 conversion, no racks (by them, my ENG diamond pate roof deck is awesome) or bumpers, so no idea on those parts. Welding on my swing arm mounts has been inspected and approved by professionals as "not pretty, but way beyond adequate".

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #10

^thats a lot of good info. thanks for posting.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote