Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Anyone familiar with this?

Quadvan?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Anyone familiar with this?

The heck with the SMB, I'm drooling over the F650, or whatever model Ford that is in the background.

Herb
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Quadvan?
Hard to say. Looks like Ford radius arms, but Quadvan usually uses two front shocks on each side on the diesel vans. The lift looks higher than the 2" or 4" which are typical for Quadvan, also.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #4

Hi. Long time reader, first time poster...

I just took a look at this one, and it is very clean throughout. It looks like the owner did take fairly good care of it over the years. It started up just fine and the transfer case went into 4H and 4L with no major issues. It seems that the it was purchased at auction, per the carfax. In addition, it does have 97K on the engine. It is a 2005 6.0 liter, which is questionable as to how reliable it has been through the years, or did Ford fix a lot of the problems by then?

For a price tag of 50K, it seems reasonable, however, I would just be concerned how long it is gonna last....

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I really don't know if this is a QuadVan...
pbotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbotz
Hi. Long time reader, first time poster...

I just took a look at this one, and it is very clean throughout. It looks like the owner did take fairly good care of it over the years. It started up just fine and the transfer case went into 4H and 4L with no major issues. It seems that the it was purchased at auction, per the carfax. In addition, it does have 97K on the engine. It is a 2005 6.0 liter, which is questionable as to how reliable it has been through the years, or did Ford fix a lot of the problems by then?

For a price tag of 50K, it seems reasonable, however, I would just be concerned how long it is gonna last....

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I really don't know if this is a QuadVan...
The '03 and '04 6.0L's were the most problematic, then their reliability improved quite a lot, though emission requirements have made virtually all diesel engines so complex many have issues, where diesel engines were once the definition of simplicity.

I'd recommend getting the VIN, and asking someone over at TheDieselStop (or similar site) to run an Oasis report. That's the Ford database of repairs and recall work performed at Ford dealerships. Not a universal database, but should cover most of what you're looking for. There are numerous Ford employees who in an unofficial capacity will run the report for you.

Herb
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

Thanks Herb.

I do have the VIN and will go ahead and post on theDieselStop. I will let you know what I find.
pbotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #7

I would let it go to the end of the auction, see what the last bid is (it will never go past reserve on eBay), then offer them $5-10k more than that amount, obviously if you think that is still below what it is worth. That's what we did with ours (bought it brand new from a dealer in AZ for about half price after watching it on eBay twice). The auction will establish a value in the dealer's mind (whether it's fair market or not, usually the final bid is way lower) then you offering a bit more might seal the deal. Ebay is absolutely the last place to sell one of these things.

Also, this strategy gives you 3 days plus to do your research.

BTW, I'm loving that Ford Crew Cab, too. If it's an F650, has a 200g fuel tank. Ummm....Baja. I saw a similar GMC Top Kick with a Bigfoot Camper on top at the Pemex in Viscaino, BCS last month. The thing absolutely dwarfed my SMB. It was ridiculous. I was so awestruck I forgot to take photos. Threadjack over...
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #8

"If it's an F650, has a 200g fuel tank."

That's $600+ to fill. What does a heart attack feel like?

Z

Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #9

If you can afford that setup, pretty sure the fillup won't break you. All kidding aside, when diesel is short in Baja, it's nice to have extra. "You don't pass a gas station in Baja in an SMB"...
, that's not the law, but it's close enough.

The run from Jesus Maria to El Rosario is pretty tense when pulling a boat. I had a couple of gallons to spare.

Plus that's only $500 in Baja.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #10

I know you will spend $600 on fuel sooner or later--it's just the thought of it all at once.
Z