Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Anyone traveling from Reno, Nevada to Southern California?

Hi all,

Just bought a Classic Warn bumper and 8274 Warn winch for my project SMB. I'm planning on making a road trip from San Diego, CA to Reno, Nevada to pick it up....unless someone has plans for a similar route and room for a bumper. I would be willing to pay reasonable for gas/time. Just thought I would put the word out. I traveled to Arizona for a custom rear bumper recently and the fuel cost killed me. Hopefully, this could be a win win. I could meet up to half way. Time frame would be within a month or two. The bumper is 75 3/8" long and ??150 lbs?? Give me a call (619) 917-7873. Thanks, Chris Baffico
Attached Thumbnails
Bumpr.jpg  

Agile Offroad 4x4
chrisbaffico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

Re: Anyone traveling from Reno, Nevada to Southern Californi

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the bumper and winch?
What was it mounted on?

I have an old custom made Chrome bumper from a GM van like that in storage (inside for years) back in Upstate NY. It has a working and updated Desert Dynamics / Pierce 9,000 pound winch that I always think about selling when I see another one for sale. If there was a good way to remove the chrome I would modify it for my new van and use it but the chrome and the shipping hold me from doing it.

Good luck on your request and your project...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Jaime,

I paid $395 for both. I guess I could have negotiated (craigslist), but the seller was willing to store it until I can pick it up (priceless). I do see people selling similar bumper/winch combo's from $550 up to $1500+. Warn stopped making The Classic bumper in 2004. I've seen the bumper alone for about $350+. As for the 8274 Warn winch, they are pretty popular -I see them on ebay for $500+ used. I believe it was mounted on a Chevy -40 1/2" outside of frame rails. I believe my Ford van has 42", so a little fabrication will be necessary. I'm looking at welding on some square tube and inserting it into the frame ends...unless someone has a better method. I do plan on sanding it down and painting it black.
I thought about shipping it, but I don't want to trouble the seller with crating it. Good luck on your bumper...it might be worth putting it on your new van -I know I can't afford the Aluminess I really want.

Chris
Agile Offroad 4x4
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #4

Chris,

Thanks for letting me know about the bumper. Mine is a bit different than the one you bought but still very similar.
Here is a picture of one almost exactly like mine from what I can remeber. Personally while the Aluminess bumpers are really nice I would still rather have something different for that money. And at least you already have a Penthouse top already so you dont have to buy that.

So as of right now I am going to Grass Valley, CA an hour or so from Reno on October 22nd for a day or two.
I live in between San Francisco and San Jose. I might be able to go the extra distance to get your bumper. I don't know if I picked it up and got it this far if that would help or not. It would cut your trip in half or so.

...Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
PART_1348426805137_zps5e02d201.jpg  
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Jaime,

They do look similar. I actually like the boxier look. I did get lucky on the penthouse. I found my diesel. ph top and sofa bed in a cargo van out in Houston , TX. Flew out there and drove it back. Seems like it is always a lot of work to save money, but worth it in the long run. I'm just nickel and dime'n it to death.

Providing I don't get any other offers between now and Oct 22, if it's not too much trouble, I'll take you up on your offer. If you live between SF and SJ, that would shave off at least 2 hours and keep me from snow driving. Let me know what you need for compensation. I do have a sister in Hayward and my Mom in Redwood City -I am overdue on a visit.

Let's keep in touch. Thank you.

Chris
Agile Offroad 4x4
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #6

Thanks to Jaime,

Looks like my bumper has hitched a ride to Redwood City, CA on or about the 23rd of October. Anyone heading south about that time?

-Chris
Agile Offroad 4x4
Old 10-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #7

I had submitted an auction for bids on Uship.com. I got a bid for transport and accepted it. $150 Reno, NV to San Diego, CA. I will have the bumper at the end of the month. With the hike in fuel - I feel I got off easy.

Jaime -I really appreciate the offer. It was a kind gesture. Let me know if you ever need anything. -Chris
Agile Offroad 4x4