Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Blank canvas '06 E350 6.0L

'06 E350, 6.0L cargo van, barn doors, 71K miles, $20,495
No affiliation.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ctd/6188152189.html

Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Am I a terrible person to have the thought, "if I only had a place to store it, it would be the ideal parts vehicle for my SMB"?
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

If it was an EB I would have to think hard not to make a run at it.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #4

Garage
Hey, can this thread be a simultaneous learning experience to (briefly) discuss the realities of the 6.0 diesel? In particular...how much more $$ needs to be spent in modifications to a "bare bones, stock OEM 6.0" to ensure long-term reliability?

Or....are most of these 6.0's actually "good to go," entirely as-is?

Not having owned one, the generalized understanding that I have absorbed from reading a lot of online forum discussions is that many 6.0's frequently need additional, significant $$$ spent to "bulletproof" them (there's usually the mention of installing higher-quality ARP cylinder head studs, doing an EGR delete (or bypass?) and perhaps some sort of additional oil cooler/filter, I forget all the stuff that gets mentioned. It sounds significant, in any event....and potentially risky in California, at least in the case of an EGR delete, since it won't pass California's strict smog checks if that's missing.

Curious if those "bulletproofing" measures/precautions are only needed/advisable in certain years of the 6.0 (the early years, I'm guessing) and are not an issue in later model years....? (If so....what are the "good years" to have?)

Main reason I ask about all of this: a desire to be able to project/plan accurately for the true likely costs of a build.
Seems like a $20k van could easily turn into a $25k van (or more?), if it immediately was advisable to address said "bulletproofing" items.

So anyway --- hope this doesn't derail any discussion about that sweet van for sale! I really felt that this kind of inquiry would actually lend some more insight into the whole understanding of "homebuild" cost analysis.....a lot of us are still learning the potential nuances/strengths/weaknesses of the various power plants, as well as their likely, immediate-future "necessary additional investments" required with these "blank canvas" rigs to make them into truly dependable adventure-rig platforms.

Thanks for any/all patient expert replies!!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Team

My $0.02 is go with an improved EGR (new factory Ford or Bulletproof Diesel), the newer Ford factory oil cooler (provided it hasn't been done), and a coolant filter wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally I don't think head studs are necessary for a 6.0L unless going with a major performance tune. Even the factory stock 6.0's in the trucks, with their higher power levels, don't automatically warrant head studs IMO.

Does this add some significant dollars, yeah. Off the top of my head I would guess in the $3.5K range installed. Once you do this however, you have a gret engine and a great stock transmission.

Herb
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

I'm no expert on the 6.0, but to be 'bulletproof' you have to pull the body, and then you're looking at ~$15k.

Can you do some other things? Or drive it until (if?) you have issues? Sure.

But I'd want to have that $15k in reserve.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

From what I've read over the years regarding bulletproofing a 6.0 van is approximately 4500 to 5 grand in parts to do it correctly and completely. Because there's no point in doing a half-ass bulletproofing. Plus labor which means pulling the body off. Sure it can be done with the body on but time would cost even more money.
In the wise words of a great friend, " do it nice or do it twice"
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

You also need a shop with experience at making that engine last. I have a friend that plowed far more than the numbers quoted here into a work truck before giving up on it (and switching brands).

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #9

Garage
Hmmm.
It sounds like the short answer to the question of whether or not this is really a simple "fork over the $20k asking price and you're totally good-to-go" kind of van......and not a "spend $23.5k upfront total van"...or a "spend $25k upfront total van"....or even
a "spend $35k upfront total van"....is.....perhaps YMMV? Or depends on how you use it or tune it?

Another tidbit that seems to have popped up in other discussions of the 6.0 (the early ones, anyway) is that they don't like to be idled extensively. EGR's clogging up. Which sounds like was the doom/fate of a lot of service vehicles (ambulances, airport shuttles, etc) that spend at least half their time sitting around and idling/waiting for a call.

Conversely, a driver of a Sportsmobile-type adventure rig would most likely be truly **driving the vehicle** most of the time that the engine is running....so is it fair to assume (or hope) that any EGR-related 6.0 issues would most likely be....less likely?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #10

'06 should be a good year for the 6.0. In my experience you're going to want to do exactly what Herb said for about that cost right away. Keep another $5k in reserve for when/if the body needs to come off for some sort of high pressure leak which could happen.

The EGR needs to be done right away though and a coolant filter is a pretty inexpensive step to take towards keeping your oil cooler flowing freely whether you are sticking with the stock unit or upgrading it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote