Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

Re: Chinooks

I'm confident Ramsey aka bajasportsmobile could convert them to 4x4

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #12

QuadVan used to do the "Chinook Factory 4x4" conversions, starting in about '02 after taking the Chinooks over from Quigley. Most of the Chinooks were too heavy for the TTB conversion QuadVan used to offer, and was a factor in them migrating to the Solid-axle architecture. Something to think about. I really like the TTB setup, but it has weight limitations, and even my van would blow right through those.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Wow, pretty cool to see so many listed but word to the wise, all but the first one are Chinook Premier models. Those are the cheaper models with not NEARLY as many cool features as the Concourse (top o the line) models. There is only one nicer than the Concourse which most here know is the Baja with factory 4WD, winch, high dollar paint, etc. There are the Glacier models too which are much more $ but they are longer and have slides etc., much more like a bigger motorhome. The Premier models listed are overpriced IMO but they are in Cali so that might be expected. I have noticed Chinooks are more popular and more expensive in the PNW closer to where they were made. You can get a really nice Concourse in the Southeast for 20-25k WHEN they come up, which is not too often or I'd probably own one.
Anyway, for comparison, look at things like the quality of cabinetry and the counter top surfaces between the Concourse and Premiers, and the paint too. The Premier has laminate and SS sink, where the Concourse had Corian with a molded sink from about 2000 up to the 2005 last year of production. The materials, cabinetry, etc. just look a lot nicer in the Concourse models. The Premiers listed have the same basic paint job, mostly white. I think the nicer Concourse models all had factory solar too, which the Premiers don't. Also, there are some Premiers floating around with a 5.4 I believe, where every Concourse from 97 on had a V10 with a few sporting a 7.3 diesel.

The mack daddy IMO if you could find it would be a 2005 Concourse with the V10/5R110 combo and the newest paint. I would expect to pay $40-50k for one of those, but not for one of these Premiers. Oh, unless you can find and afford a Baja.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hope it helps someone.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

What do you guys think of this Chinook http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc/...esel-25209.htm
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #15

It's really rare and nice but I would paint it immediately.
Fishy that it's that cheap. It was for sale a few months ago. I looked at it and it was quickly gone.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #16

.. and since we're looking at Chinooks, here's a couple more:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvd/4296392395.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/4336416393.html

they're a little older and somewhat lower priced.

Enjoy,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #17

No wonder I never can find Chinooks Ray! They're all over there!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #18

and to keep teasing everyone, here's another one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4338549928.html

.. the price is like maybe 10 tanks of fuel? Such a bargain.

Happy viewing,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
and to keep teasing everyone, here's another one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4338549928.html

.. the price is like maybe 10 tanks of fuel? Such a bargain.

Happy viewing,
Ray
I like it. A bit underpowered maybe, and could use 4x4, but I like it.

Herb
Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #20

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I looked a a Chinook for sale in San Diego last week - it was a 2004 (2003 Chassis) with a 7.3 and had QuadVan Dana 50 TTB. Interesting application of the TTB - too complicated for me but well done. I wouldn't hesitate to put a D50 TTB under most Class Bs. Factory applications were 5000+ GAWR and with our mods I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
QuadVan used to do the "Chinook Factory 4x4" conversions, starting in about '02 after taking the Chinooks over from Quigley. Most of the Chinooks were too heavy for the TTB conversion QuadVan used to offer, and was a factor in them migrating to the Solid-axle architecture. Something to think about. I really like the TTB setup, but it has weight limitations, and even my van would blow right through those.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote