Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
You bet. If I were looking at this rig, my next step would be to obtain complete documentation regarding the "bulletproofing." I have heard a lot of different people call a lot of different things "bulletproofing." I've seen folks swear that "everything" was done--but there are a lot of different definitions of "everything."

I believe only what there is documentation to support. If I were considering this rig, I would start by asking for a complete copy of the bulletproofing invoice and warranty documentation. I would then probably follow up with a phone call to the shop. Based on that, if I were still interested--and after verifying that all the mechanicals check out to my satisfaction--I'd make an offer based on a reasonable, fair market value. And take it from there.
yep, this^^^. Bulletproofing is complete jargon. Here's what I would consider the full meal deal on a rebuilt (or bulletproofed) 6.0 powerstroke.

-ARP head studs. That means the motor had to come out.
-Heads. New or resurfaced and were they o-ringed?
-HPOP. 2004.5+ not known for failure but ask anyway
-Dummy plugs (upgraded parts by Ford for injector health)
-Standpipes (upgraded parts by Ford for injector health)
-EGR cooler with the round tubes or BPD cooler or an EGR delete.
-injectors. Original or remans. 100k is when they start to go.
-New oil cooler. OEM and not a Dorman. Or, the outrageously expensive BPD external oil cooler
-water pump. Go BPD or Dieselsite for the metal impeller
-turbo reconditioned.
-FICM rebuilt
-upgraded alternator and fresh batteries
-coolant flush and Ford Gold replaced with a CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant
-new charge air cooler (CAC) boots
-coolant filter

I'd ask to see the receipts for all the parts to ensure they are OEM and not cheap aftermarket.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
yep, this^^^. Bulletproofing is complete jargon. Here's what I would consider the full meal deal on a rebuilt (or bulletproofed) 6.0 powerstroke.

Nice list.

Wiser heads than mine have also commented that bulletproofing is only the first step. After that, it is a matter of diligent maintenance, to include regular oil changes and coolant replacement, using coolant that meets Ford specs.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post

Nice list.

Wiser heads than mine have also commented that bulletproofing is only the first step. After that, it is a matter of diligent maintenance, to include regular oil changes and coolant replacement, using coolant that meets Ford specs.
Yeah, that too. I'd also argue that you don't want coolant to meet Ford specs you want coolant to meet International specs. Ford made the decision to run the same Ford Gold coolant in ALL their vehicles. International of course designed and built the motor and they use a CAT rated ELC. This one has been debated ad nauseum on the diesel forums. Ford Gold is probably ok if you are up on maintenance and flush it every 20 or 30k.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #34
Site Team

Personally, especially for a 6.0 van, I would be satisfied with just:

BPD EGR cooler
revised Ford oil cooler
blue spring upgrade
maybe an upgraded FICM

Herb
Old 02-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
To further poke the bee's nest. That is a $65,000 van imo

No, I'd say it's worth more that that. Probably worth $65k without the $20k the seller just put into reputable 6.0 rebuild and improve and a rebuilt transmission.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #36

Simple supply and demand. 65k is what I paid for my used 2005 SMB in 2010. Similar build and specs.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #37

My intent for sharing my two cents here is to possibly help a future buyer. When I bought my van used in 2010 I was very naive to the 6.0 PSD. I feel now I got real lucky in that it had 60k miles on it and was was completely untouched, at least for the motor. The transmission on the other hand is a longer story. Never been to a mechanic, ford, nobody, except for oil changes. So, all the "bullet proof like" improvements to help it be reliable were done since I've owned it. Which means I know what parts were used, how installed and where the demons are still lurking. It's been a lot of work and fun for this driveway mechanic. If I was to find another 6.0 van, or any motor type, I would prefer another unmolested van (motor/transmission wise). So what I'm getting at is I would also be cautious of a list of improvements that is driving the bargaining price up and not over look a nice van, body, floor plan, type of top, etc, that is stock and still out there. A lot of the items on JoeH's thorough list can be done in a driveway or by good mechanics.

Good luck and keep looking for the good vans.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #38

Ultimate Truck Performance is THE diesel shop in Southern CA. I took my 7.3 to them and was seriously impressed with their work. If I had a 6.0, it would go straight there for bulletproofing. Cost, btw, was pretty reasonable at about $4600 IIRC.

All but one mechanic at UTP drives a 6.0 with their kit (the one who doesn't has a 7.3 while he's saving up for his 6.0). I told them, "Yeah, but you guys have a shop and the experience to fix them when they break."

They said, "Yeah, but once we bulletproof them, they don't break."

6.0's do require more maintenance than other motors. In fact, if you scroll down to the 6.0 section of UJoint's FAQ page, Chris outlines a bunch of items, including that the turbo should be removed and cleaned every 30-40K miles. So that's something to keep in mind.

I'd be curious to hear what UTP did to the transmission and why. I've always heard the 5R110 is the strong link in the 6.0 powertrain, whereas the 4R100 was the weak link in the 7.3 powertrain.

But bottom line, unless they plated that transmission in gold, I agree with Glider in post #12 and Rally in post #14. No heat, no cooktop, no propane, no rear bumper box, average winch, average fridge...that thing is way overpriced. I'd offer $69K max.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #39

I'm not endorsing powerstrokehelp and I realize some folks have opinions about bill but his latest video is hitting a familiar subject.

https://youtu.be/qHyBwfGspuA

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #40

YIPES 89K for a "Very Unique Truck" clearly marked SMB 4x4 but keyword- tagged 'Quigley' and without water line? And what actual warranties are in place?

Just feel the seller is not fully informed- I'm in agreement with PallyPanAm- should get top of line components for top price.