Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
Site Team

Interesting rig

There's a lot I like about this rig, just not the price.

No affiliation.

----------------------------------------------

Toyota 4x4 RV - $37900

1998 Toyota Chinook
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual

This rig has been build with a heavy off-road /overland influence. Ready to adventure and take you almost anywhere.

Camper Specs:

-Custom subfloor attaching camper to frame with body mounts allowing frame flex.

-Pass through from cab to camper

-Brand new canvas, zippers, and bug screens for the pop top

-Rebuild pop top to assure roof is convex vs concave to properly shed water.

-2.5" of closed cell foam insulation providing structural integrity and the best R value per inch.

-New bearing / track system for the pop top, added 2.5" of headroom, over 6'3 clearance

-Resealed roof. No leaks

-Fiberglassed over all the old, unnecessary holes in the camper.

-Pulled, resealed, and painted all the metal trim throughout the exterior of the camper

-Built a custom metal frame out of 16ga 1x1 to reinforce the fiberglass shell & attach interior paneling to. Extremely well built & sturdy.

-Rebuilt the camper door.

-Resealed the tail lights & marker lights on camper. New tail light housings.

-Closed cell insulation, better R value than most houses, and also adds structural integrity. Very light weight.

-All windows resealed. Any issues fixed, everything is like new.

-Fresh paint on cab & camper. Not showroom quality but definitely a good finish.

-Brand new custom canvas for the pop top, made with sunbrella & noseeum screens, new zippers etc. Water tight and looks great.

Interior -

Pergo outlast+ flooring. (Waterproof, scratchproof etc)

Custom cabinets, 3 "pantry" shelves, 2 utility cabinets under the sink, 2 drawers under the couch, and one cabinet under the couch.

Fridge spot for a "cooler" style fridge. Big enough to fit most 60+ qt coolers. Plug in right next to it. Under the fridge nook is also more storage.

Foot pump faucet with a 10 gallon fresh and 5 gallon grey tank.

Stainless steel Ruvati sink

Plenty of counter space for a Coleman stove, or I can install a 2 burner stove, but many people don't enjoy cooking inside so I left the cooktop out as it can always be added later.

1100w Krieger inverter

Couch turns into bed 6'6x4' in ~15-30 seconds.

Cabover also provides ample storage

Also a spot you could potentially put a composting toilet.

Truck Specs:

1998 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6 5 Speed Manual

-A/C, cruise control, power steering.

-Manual windows, mirrors, and locks. (Less to break)

-Manual locking hubs (rare in the V6 Tacoma's)

-Custom front plate bumper with brand new smittybuilt 9.5k winch

-Custom rear tube bumper with tire swingout.

-Brand new Odyssey truck battery.

-Brand new Odyssey Camper battery that feeds the camper. Charges when truck runs, and when dead won't effect starting capabilities of the truck. Also note this is a dry cell marine battery, intended to be drained and charged thousands of times.

-New carpet in the cab.

-Brand new Corbeau Baja RS seats. Very comfortable and are manufactured for off-road comfort.

-280,000 miles on the odometer. I picked this truck up for cheap needing an engine. I pulled the old engine, and installed a new engine with ~190,000 miles and good compression. I then completed the following maintenance on it. ( I have a 6,000 mile engine I can install for the right deal. Yes, 6,000 original miles, not rebuilt. I also have a TRD factory supercharger we can also discuss... 2nd generation S/C, the black one )

-New oil pan gasket

-Rear main seal

-OEM Clutch & accessories

-OEM Timing belt kit, water pump & accessories included.

-All new belts

-Intake manifold gasket

-Valve cover gaskets

-Throttle body gasket

-OEM air filter

-Coolant flush

-Spark plugs & wires

Suspention:

-Extended frame, wheelbase & all necessary components that correlate with that. (breaks, E-brake, driveshaft, etc)

-Rear half of frame was C Chanel, I had it boxed in for extra support. Fishplates and gussets at any seam.

-New rear shock mounts

-New bilstein rear shocks

-Alcan custom leaf springs. 2.5" lift & rated for 1200lbs extra weight

-2" rear lift shackles to account for height lost when the wheelbase was extended.

-Energy suspension leaf spring bushings

-New Inner tie rods

-OEM Outer tie rods

-OEM upper ball joints

-OEM lower ball joints

-Energy suspension rack bushings

-Fresh Toyota Remanufactured Rack & pinion

-Energy suspension 1" diff drop

-Bilstein adjustable shocks with eibach coils set to 3" lift

-Fresh breaks front and rear, rotors up front.

-Fresh rear outer axle seal

-New extended sway bar ends up fron to compensate for lift

Pioneer Double Din stereo with backup camera.

4 brand new Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers

Pioneer 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing, if you have any questions please ask.

Tires of choice included with the sale, or you can put your own wheel/tire combo on.

Turn key ready for some sweet adventures.

Asking 37,900

Old 12-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

Seems like you could do a FWC and Tacoma for less than this. You’d lose the walk through though.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Seems like you could do a FWC and Tacoma for less than this. You’d lose the walk through though.
You could for a LOT less, and have something more useful.
FVShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #4

I thought this was a Sportsmobile forum. Maybe I’m wrong.
greatwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite1 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

I have been watching this guy resto this chinook camper for awhile on Instagram. The camper is totally redone and instead of being on a 80's or early 90's era toyota pick up it is on a much better 1st gen platform.

i looked at these before i got my van and the few things that drove me away was the lack of power (little 4-banger or the 3.0l v6 that had TONS of issues) and the age of the trucks since they are all from the 80's to early 90s. This kind of takes all those issues out of the equation since the 3.4l is a great engine and is a v6 with decent power, 4x4 from the factory, and now the base truck is from the late 90's to early 00's and there is TONS of toyota support and aftermarket gear for these trucks did someone say turbo or supercharger....

On top of that these trucks are so fricken easy to work on it is amazing, where as vans are literally the biggest pain in the ass to work on.

i think this would be for a different crowd then the general sportsmobilers; i may catch flack for this but this would be much more capable off road, less of a gas guzzler, CHEAPER...much cheaper then a sportsmobile, smaller so easier to navigate on trails in the city or while parking (i.e. easier for the wife to drive), and finally less and cheaper maintenance all round.

Im not saying that this chinook is better then a sportsmobile/van or talking down on sportsmobiles or the van movement as i have a van that i am building out with my wife. they are just really meant for 2 different types of people, we went the van route because my wife and i have 2 90lb dogs to travel with and will evetually have a kid and the chinook wont fit as we grow our family size.

But i cant say that i dont want one, the rig is pretty slick. god what i would have given for one of these when i lived in Southern California cause this would have been the ultimate Baja Surf truck!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #7

Here's an old one locally that could be refurbed and installed on a later chassis. The current Hilux is rotting away.
Attached Thumbnails
Chinook.JPG   Chinook1.JPG  
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite1 View Post
What an incredible post. Thanks for showing up and making your 17th contribution a good one.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote