Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

EGR is only an issue if you idle a lot a lot. By 05 they had already worked most stuff and by 06-07 those motors were pretty dialed in. Best thing you can do with these engines is get em warm and drive em like you stole em.

Only reason I would be wary of that 6.0 is because it was tuned and might not have had the necessary upgrades.

How many 6.0l SMB's are out there?? How many come up for sale??

Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post

Are there CARB-approved EGR remedies for the 6.0 ?...
Not sure about specific CARB specific approval, but there aftermarket, improved EGR coolers out there like BulletProof Diesel. Last I knew CA smog checks were a visual check on the equipment. I had a BPD EGR cooler installed in my SMB when I had the Ford oil cooler and had no issues afterwards with CA smog check.

Herb
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
MSD

Garage
I have no EGR & I pass at the pipe here in Colorado but fail the visual inspection because of no EGR. I'm grateful I have a place in Oregon & spend enough time there to legally keep the van registered in Oregon. That being said 100% agree that the 6.0 isn't a good match for Cali residents. I wouldn't want a 6.0 unless it had the EGR delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
6.uh oh isn't that bad an engine.
Just wanted to say:
I love this term you have for this engine, hehe.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Ad lists the odometer at 34156

Herb
I already had 2 turbo replacements at that mileage!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Not sure about specific CARB specific approval, but there aftermarket, improved EGR coolers out there like BulletProof Diesel. Last I knew CA smog checks were a visual check on the equipment. I had a BPD EGR cooler installed in my SMB when I had the Ford oil cooler and had no issues afterwards with CA smog check.

Herb
As of last year you are now required to get your 6.0 hooked up to a diagnostic machine for the smog check in California. The visual days are over. It will fail you for a missing EGR.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Are there CARB-approved EGR remedies for the 6.0 ?
Although not a 6.0 Ford, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI, where we took the EGR cooler and fixed the internal failure points, and left the entire system visually in tact. The 49 state folks don't bother, but us Californians have this unique, um, problem. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Ford 6-oh guys have a similar solution.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #18

If it were me and I lived in CA I would just run a BPD EGR cooler and use an SCT tuner with a PCM tune that turns off the EGR valve. You still have coolant running through the EGR cooler but your not dumping soot into the engine. Turn it back on for the inspection.

The issue here is mostly the coolant so if your maintaining the Ford Gold and/or using an ELC with a coolant filter then you've done what you can to keep the oil cooler from clogging with silicate sludge and casting sand. It's restricted flow through the oil cooler that causes the EGR cooler to rupture.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #19

My first thought about it being a 6.0 was, at least it's in a pick up truck engine compartment. However, they hosed themselves with the camper overhang so the normal lift the cab technique is not really an option.

My solution to smoging my 6.0 in California was to move out of California. The twist is here in El Paso County the only vehicles that get tested are diesels. However it's a ridiculously easy test to pass.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #20

My 6.0 has the EGR delete and passes our county's OBD2 emissions test with the stock tune on. It passed in Nevada before I bought it and passed here in Idaho. It was deleted before I bought so not sure how it passes but it does.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote