Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Nice 99 EB Dodge SMB on CL in CA $14500

Not mine. If you like the Dodge body, this looks pretty clean.

1999 sportsmobile full camper pop top van

1999 Sportsmobile full camper pop top van powered by a dodge 5.9 V8 on a 3500 series chase with 120k miles runs and drives excellent fully powered cold a/c Onan generator run great lots of storage space also has a shower and port a potty never used full size bed sink 2 Buner portable stove frigerator and freezer pantry all in excellent condition must see and drive.
Attached Thumbnails
00O0O_jsEl4kQEyjw_600x450.jpg  

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

Garage
I have been eyeing this for some time. It has been up for a month and he started at $19,000. Just over the mountain for me so I might try to check it out.
lugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

That thing looks brand new!
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

My SMB has a mostly similar layout inside, and we really like it. The downstairs bed has a lot of room for two people. We don't have the shower, though (which is kinda cool...)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Garage
Every time an ad for a pristine rig like this goes up, it's more confirmation of what seems to be the awesome reality for SMB-hunters:

Tons of sweet camper vans were bought, decades ago....and then hardly ever used. Built (like our nation's fleet of stealth bombers) at great cost, trotted out for a few special events....and then slowly and quietly mothballed, tucked away into obscurity as perfect as the day they rolled off the line.

So those rigs, they're out there, in their large silent numbers.....waiting, slumbering invisibly in dusty garages, for their moment to come back out and shine....find a new enthusiast to pilot them....and to (heck yeah) set forth on epic adventure once more.

(And....most awesomely....be sold at a reasonable price this time around)

(Yep.....we're quite often buying used rigs that were originally purchased new at a point that was "near the twilight of some other equally-enthusiastic adventurer's journey." We should tip our hats to those that fearlessly and gleefully took the big initial financial hit and bought new....perhaps only to enjoy their Sportsmobiles for a short time.

(Thanks to all you ladies/gents, for making this pursuit a bit more possible for the rest of us decades later.)

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

Garage
Is this a fair price for this SMB? I keep seeing Dodge B series SMBs pop up for less and have been holding out. The layout would require some modification for me to use (I need a third captain seat).
lugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #7

I think it's pretty fair for the nice condition it appears to be in. The Dodge platform detracts from the price a bit. If this were a Ford it would have sold in a day or two, even at a higher price.

As I mentioned, we have a very similar layout. I added a third captain's chair, just inside the barn doors, by removing the sink cabinet entirely. Honestly, we haven't missed having the sink at all (we just bring along a water jug, since we usually cook and eat outside). There's a thread here somewhere with pictures of the install. We've clocked nearly 30,000 miles traveling with this setup, including two month-long XC trips, and it's worked well. The only downside is there is no window for my son to look out on the driver's side, which is only occasionally an issue; I've learned not to call out "look at that cool [whatever] on the left side," as it only frustrates him!

Update: here's my seat install thread, with photos: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ford-8337.html
Old 10-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Every time an ad for a pristine rig like this goes up, it's more confirmation of what seems to be the awesome reality for SMB-hunters: .......................

(Thanks to all you ladies/gents, for making this pursuit a bit more possible for the rest of us decades later.)

Well said. It's awesome, isn't it? And SO many people have never even heard of a Sportsmobile.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote