Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Garage
Not bad --- 7.3L Quigley / 77k miles / $13k

*** Not mine / No affiliation ***

Not perfect, as the seller states.....
....but still seems like someone could get a lotta truly-low-mile (only 77k miles!) 7.3-powered Quigley 4WD for the $$$.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1992 Ford 4x4 Van - Low Mileage 7.3L Diesel w/ QUIGLEY 4X4 CONVERSION - $12999 (Seattle)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5351701959.html

1992 Ford Van
7.3L Diesel Engine
ONLY 77,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!!
Quigley 4x4 conversion with manual hubs
New Tires
Newer Front Brakes
New Muffler
New Glow Plugs
Drop Hitch
2nd Battery w/ Isolator Switch
Aftermarket front bumper with winch (never used it, don't know if it works)
Regularly Serviced
Newer Paint (the Quigley graphic is a sticker and would come off easily if desired)

Time to sell my 1992 Ford van with only 77k on a 7.3L diesel engine. I just got back from a 2,500 mile cross country trip a few weeks ago and it performed flawlessly. Mechanically, the engine is in great shape and should go a half million miles or more. It's been well maintained and serviced regularly.

The reason for the low mileage is that it belonged to the Long Island Fire Dept until about 5 years ago and my understanding is that they just moved firefighters and supplies in it around town (it helped carry volunteers after 9/11). Because it belonged to the Fire Dept, it was perfectly maintained as a fleet vehicle. Because it came from the East Coast, it does have some rust around the bottom of some of the doors and panels. Friends from the East Coast that have seen it say that the rust is minimal compared to what they'd expect, but just wanted to be upfront about it as I know that rust is uncommon on the West Coast. Not sure how much it would cost to repair the rust, but I feel as though I've fairly accounted for it with the price I'm asking. I can also send detailed photos on request. It never bothered me too much and is more of a cosmetic issue.

Currently there are 2 issues that I'm aware of and plan to fix, but haven't had time. First is the need for a new gasket in the exhaust manifold. It's a quick fix but I haven't had time to get it quoted yet (guessing about $650). As it sits, it drives great but is pretty loud because of the leak and it will bog down a bit at certain speeds because of back pressure. I also need to replace the seal on the front differential as I've noticed that it recently started dripping a bit (shouldn't cost more than $100 in parts and labor at the most). Other than those two things, this van is rock solid.

If there wasn't any rust and I'd had a chance to fix the exhaust manifold, I think this rig is easily worth $18k or more considering the low mileage on a diesel engine, 4x4 conversion, and new tires. As it stands, I've priced it where it's at taking those factors into consideration. This is your chance to buy it cheap before I get the chance to fix the exhaust manifold and replace the seal on the front differential. I'm taking a trip in a couple weeks, and if it isn't sold by the time I leave, I'll pay to get those repairs done once I'm home and raise the price accordingly. Buy it now for cheap and do the projects yourself (the exhaust manifold doesn't need to be done right away anyway) to save yourself some money! Otherwise check back on Craigslist in mid-January and the issues (other than the rust) will be fixed and I'll be asking at least $1,000 more.

Feel free to make me an offer and let's make a deal. I'd love to get it sold before I head out of town on the 21st so I've got some spending cash for my trip, so I'll be the most motivated the next 2 weeks. This is a great van that's going to last a long, long time for it's new owner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

That'll be the earlier 7.3, which while a good motor, is not the sought after 7.3.

And it's hella slow.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
That'll be the earlier 7.3, which while a good motor, is not the sought after 7.3.

And it's hella slow.
Ah ok.......good to know. Does the community largely tend to steer away from vans with this earlier 7.3?

(Being a pre-'96 van, I'm aware that it's still an OBD1....which I assume limits the options for doing any kind of plug-and-play aftermarket computer tuning upgrades?)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

It's a reliable motor, but slow. And you don't see too many with low mileage nowadays, they are 20+ years old at this point.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #5

This motor does not lend itself to any plug and play computer tuning. It can run on literally one wire. A turbo really does liven up the IDI engine, but the van kit is a bit different than the one that was built for the trucks a bit harder to come by. They are certainly known to be pretty robust despite mediocre stock power output.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #6

I passed on a super clean, low mileage, naturally asperated 7.3 with an Advanced FWD conversion after I researched the availability of an after market turbo kit. I looked pretty hard and called lots of places online and what I came away with is that they were no longer available.