Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

On this weeks episode of, "What's wrong with it?"...

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...870960225.html

I've been perusing for V10 vans, run across a lot of interesting specimens while I'm at it...

Seen a lot of cheap Quigleys lately (Everything from $1500 to $5000), but the reason they were cheap was obvious in that they were all rust buckets or beat to hell and back.

Even with a 5.4 V8 and with 140K "low" miles (Using that in the loosest possible sense of the word, as one does for craigslist finds), I can't help but feel this is undervalued unless it's rusted out on the bottom?

Suppose it's a pipeline van? Not familiar with what the commercial use of Quigleys would be in Tx.

Thinking about just making my own "Craigslist Finds" thread of things that look to be really nice deals so I don't make a ton of threads over and over again...

Old 04-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

I'd wager a fair amount that it has a history in either the oil industry or border patrol.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

It could be a deal, a scam, or a rust bucket. The best way to get a great deal is to be ready to travel on a moment's notice, inspect it in person, and deal in cash. That prevents getting scammed, or buying a rust bucket or something with mechanical problems. Good luck........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

What does it say right there in TWO places on the side of the van? Q.U.I.G.L.E.Y.

But....I suppose if you don't realize that search engines generally like the correct spelling of words to find things for you, say if you're a SHOPPER LOOKING for a 4WD VAN? Well, then maybe selling things online isn't for you, Craigslist seller. Good luck with your audience on that Quiggly van.

SMH
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It could be a deal, a scam, or a rust bucket. The best way to get a great deal is to be ready to travel on a moment's notice, inspect it in person, and deal in cash. That prevents getting scammed, or buying a rust bucket or something with mechanical problems. Good luck........
I'd sooner cough up $30 for a 2012-2014 Border Patrol Quigley with the V10 and 25-35K miles than pay $12 for a 2010-2011 oilfields (All the BP ones I've seen have seats with zero padding) van that's likely seen some abuse and neglect and has the 5.4.

I just would have figured that whoever was selling this van would have tried to clean it up a bit to pass it off as something else... Probably could have asked $20K had they been willing to (A) wash it (An hour of labor), (B) fix those ugly yellowed headlights ($20-30, hour of labor), (C) paint the doghouse the correct color of grey (or maybe just wash that so it was only lightly scuffed? Probably an hour of labor as well) and (D) found some spare econoline seats that weren't ripped for $200.

Not interested, just saying that I see a lot more than $12K of value unless there is undisclosed damages... I'm just thinking something along the lines of, "If it sounds too good to be true..."? This one's the opposite of that guy trying to sell a 6.0 Quigley on the SF Craigslist for $33K for the last year, maybe year and a half.

Edit: And besides the V10 badging (That often seems to be absent on a lot of V10 vans), there is no way of telling a 5.4 from a 6.8 besides a VIN?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Orv

Garage
Since this is Houston we're talking about, I'd also want to be sure it wasn't flooded during Harvey.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Edit: And besides the V10 badging (That often seems to be absent on a lot of V10 vans), there is no way of telling a 5.4 from a 6.8 besides a VIN?
I always look at the pics of the dash if possible. If the shifter says "D321" it has the TorqueShift which means V10 in the vans. If in only has "D21" it's the 5.4L. Note: this only works on vans, because cutaways also got the TorqueShift with the 5.4L.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
What does it say right there in TWO places on the side of the van? Q.U.I.G.L.E.Y.

But....I suppose if you don't realize that search engines generally like the correct spelling of words to find things for you, say if you're a SHOPPER LOOKING for a 4WD VAN? Well, then maybe selling things online isn't for you, Craigslist seller. Good luck with your audience on that Quiggly van.

SMH
I think they used to do these conversions at your local Piggly Quiggly.
djr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #9

I have a V10 Ford E-350 with the Quigley conversion. I bought it for $15k @ 170k miles. The only prior owner was the LADWP.

It was and is still in great shape. It had zero modifications outside of the Quigley conversion. I have put around $30k into it for mods, and I am very happy with it.

I consider myself very lucky to have found it even with the high mileage. I have had no major drivetrain issues and do not expect to anytime soon.

Chris
cmmitch357 is offline   Reply With Quote