Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Quigley E350 1994 in Germany

Hey Folks,
sorry I did not even introduce myself, but this is will be done soon.
Shortly, I own a Chevy Astro AWD which I simply converted for camping.

4x4 Ford Vans in Germany usually never pop up since there are nearly none available.
But now there has one poped up :
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=248630459&lang=de&utm_source=Direc tMail&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=Recommend_D ES

It's quite old and a lot of miles and the old 7.3 IDI diesel. Maintenance records are not really available.

What you guys think about this?

Cheers,
Martin

martinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #2

I guess if you REALLY want a 4WD Ford that's ok, but it's a lot of kilometers on that rig, and without knowing the records I'd be wary. If you want a unique vehicle in your country then I guess it fits the bill (plus it probably is close to qualifying as an "Oldtimer," no?). Add in the challenge of finding parts for a Ford full size van in Germany, plus the parts that are unique to Quigley, and I'd person pass on it. But it is cool!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

I had a 1994 van at one time. I was on my third transmission by that mileage and had to rebuild the rear axle once. Aside from that, the van was bulletproof. By comparison, my current van, albeit with only 300,000 km, is still on its original 4r100 transmission and one replacement rear axle. I tow a lot of miles with heavy trailers, which likely accelerated the failures, but I'd still suggest closely looking at the transmission fluid color, shift quality, and ability to pull in overdrive; the E4OD transmission did not match well with the diesel engine.

As for the engine itself, I would strongly recommend testing the coolant:
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/eme/analysis
The 7.3L IDI was susceptible to cavitation...you can research that if you are not familiar. It is remedied by adding a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) to the engine coolant on a regular basis. It can also remedied by replacing the engine if SCA is not added. If the coolant test strips indicate that molybdate or nitrite are low, I would pass on the vehicle, as it probably means the van was not properly maintained.

BrianW makes a good point about parts availability. Most of the Ford parts should be easy enough to get, but the Quigley 4x4 parts would almost certainly have to come from the US via air freight. Very carefully inspect the front suspension, front brakes and steering components. If anything is even slightly worn, make sure to price that in to the amount you offer for the van. Make sure that the 4wd actually works, too. Believe me, I know how much it costs to ship heavy suspension components outside of the US.

Finally, if you buy the van, put that Haynes manual in the recycle bin and buy some Helms factory service manuals on EBay.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Site Team

I like the idea of buying it, but an older vehicle especially with that many miles, will need replacement parts and that will be your biggest challenge. If you're OK with that, go for it.

Herb
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #5

Thank you so much for this very helpful input.
I feel I'd better stay away from this car. Getting Ford parts would be OK here.
Most parts I could order by rockauto. But if it is going to replace special Quigley parts then this might be another story.

I did not really realize that Quigley uses non Ford parts. That feels not so good to me.
Additionally I have a feeling that the non Turbo 7.3 is lacking power.
Going on the German Autobahn with this car might be not so much fun?
I used to go about 130km/h with my Astro Van.

Cheers ,
Martin
martinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #6

Quigley E350 1994 in Germany

Hah! Definitely not viel spass on the Autobahn! You'd be in the right lane with all the trucks going 90 kph :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #7

Hi

I have one of the very few e350 4x4SMB in germany.

Parts are ok to get. But mine is 2008 built and 96000 miles. So other story.

And I chose QuadVan for the conversion as they use Ford Parts.

So I doubt an old Quigley would be a good choice over here.

Viele Grüße

Philipp
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Quigley uses a lot of Ford parts as for the other stuff if you know any automotive shop that does custom fab they will be able to help you. If there is a will there is a way simple as that.
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

I don't know about 1994, but at least from late 90s into 2000s, the only part not an "off the shelf" Ford or Chevy part on Quigleys is one drag link end.. and if you couldn't get that from Quigley in the US, it would be easy enough to make one.. it's just a slightly bent drag link.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I don't know about 1994, but at least from late 90s into 2000s, the only part not an "off the shelf" Ford or Chevy part on Quigleys is one drag link end.. and if you couldn't get that from Quigley in the US, it would be easy enough to make one.. it's just a slightly bent drag link.

OK. If it is that easy. In the end: why not.

The choice over here is more than limited. That is why I imported mine from the US.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote