Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Mitchell View Post
Never seen one of those before, pretty slick little rigs!
Here's the Tiger Astro sub-forum:

TigerOwners.freeforums.org • Login

You can also find lots of posts about them in the old Tiger Yahoo forum, but there is no organization to that forum:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...omeowners/info

Provan has only built on pickups since GM discontinued this platform.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

I'll second that the 4.3 is up to the task...it's a very torquey engine and bulletproof. Basically a chevy 350 minus 2 cylinders.

I imagine it would be easy to retrofit the system from an AWD Astro into a 2wd Tiger. I've seen a few in the Pick A Part yards here in SoCal. They were popular in the mountain areas near me.
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #13

Gearing matters a ton. Especially with a lift, wheels and tires. I have 3.42 in my '03 Astro AWD with a 4" lift on 245/65-17's. It downshifts going over overpasses.

If I didn't live in CA I would have already swapped a 5.7 Vortec in. I just don't think the 4.3 has enough spare juice for the Astro. Let alone a Tiger.

Plus guys who've made the swap on the Astro/Safari forums say they're getting 20-25 mpg. I really don't understand why GM didn't offer the 5.7 as a factory option.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #14

This needs to be discussed on the Tiger forum. Comparing SMB to Tigers is a valid topic for a SMB forum. Discussing engine swaps in Astros and their performance as motorhomes separately from any ties to SMB is beyond the scope of this forum. See Tiger links above, or take it to private messages, please. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #15

Touche.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
This needs to be discussed on the Tiger forum. Comparing SMB to Tigers is a valid topic for a SMB forum. Discussing engine swaps in Astros and their performance as motorhomes separately from any ties to SMB is beyond the scope of this forum. See Tiger links above, or take it to private messages, please. Thanks in advance.
Not sure why discussions of any Tiger or non SMB products need to be taken to PM's or off this site in general. This is an enthusiasts forum that's based off the SMB, but most members are generally interested in all types of campers. To say that a discussion outside of SMB related products is beyond the scope of this forum is erroneous.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Not sure why discussions of any Tiger or non SMB products need to be taken to PM's or off this site in general. This is an enthusiasts forum that's based off the SMB, but most members are generally interested in all types of campers. To say that a discussion outside of SMB related products is beyond the scope of this forum is erroneous.
Not erroneous at all. This site does NOT exist to discuss motorhomes in general. There are plenty of other sites for that THIS SITE exists for the purpose of discussing SMB and custom built similar vehicles. This site is NOT the place to discuss swapping out engines in Provan Tigers.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
THIS SITE exists for the purpose of discussing SMB and custom built similar vehicles. This site is NOT the place to discuss swapping out engines in Provan Tigers.
I see. So it's okay to have a Tiger thread in the Member Classifieds section, and even for you to post in that thread, but I somehow crossed a line when I talked about gearing and engine swaps? They would only make a "custom built similar vehicle" (Tiger) even more custom.

So your distinction seems both arbitrary and contradictory to me.

Frankly, I've always thought of this site as a forum for sharing knowledge and wisdom, so people can learn from each other's experience and mistakes.

That was my motivation in posting. I wanted to offer an opposing view to the preceding pro-4.3 posts for someone considering buying that Tiger: Based on my experience, check the gearing or consider an engine swap or you'll likely be underwhelmed.

To your point, Tom, I think of my Astro as a custom-built similar vehicle, a (mini) SMB. After my '99 EB50 7.3, it's a dry run for my '99 RB 7.3 home build.

The '99 build is why I'm on this forum. And to compare them, I think the Ford is a much better platform to start from than the Astro. It's more robust, has more room, has better 4x4 conversion options, has more aftermarket parts to choose from, has a diesel, and more.

But that doesn't the mean things I've learned from the Astro won't translate or help other members here, things like matching gearing with engine choice, wheels, tires, weight, interior buildout, materials, etc.

So I'll stand by my post. I don't feel it was out of line or out of context with the rest of this thread or the rest of this forum. And it seems like some others agree...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #19

Tom, do you have a problem with Provan Tigers?

Your close mindedness isn't welcome here Tom. Lots of our members neither have nor ever will have SMB's and are active members with a general interest in camper vans of all types. A Tiger is more similar to an SMB then it is any other motorhome.

Where is it written that this site is only for Sportsmobiles and other custom built similar vehicles? We are not, and never have been affiliated with the Sportsmobile company.

Should we quit talking about GTRV, Pleasureway and Colorado Camper Vans too? What about Ujoint and every other four-wheel-drive converter? By your logic they should all be excluded too sunce that might be construed as competition to Sportsmobile's four-wheel-drive conversions.

We are a pretty open-minded bunch around here. We talk about a lot of things and learn a lot of things from each other. It's typically a very peaceful and mature atmosphere. If you'd like to be a part of a forum where only your specific interests are discussed then go start one. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #20

TomH,

Is this your website, or are you a moderator?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote