Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #11

Re: VW Syncro, nice but ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
I thought maybe there was one too many 0s but even I know beat up syncros go for more that $9000 so I had to post it.

It looks nice but if that thing is worth $90000 then surely my 2006 Quigley that I posted yesterday is worth 1/5 the price.

Ray
I lurk here a lot and had to speak out on this one.

I've owned two Syncro Westfalias and built out J Buffett's Syncro Adventurewagen and his two Sportsmobiles. I know 'em both.

Syncros were made between 1985 and 1991 - and only about 1500 of the campers were imported and maybe 5000 tintops. Syncro owners are as rabid as SMB owners. A regular Syncro is quite capable and worlds more nimble than a Sportsmobile - literally has the turning radius of a Honda CRX and drives remarkably like a modern, plush SUV. A fully locked one (they can be had with front/rear difflocks and a center locker instead of viscous coupler if you're of the mind to spend the $$) will go incredible places. They are unique like Sportsmobiles - but have gobs less power to weight, unless someone has done an engine conversion to a Subaru or Ford Zetec (Bostig.com). For some, who need less room and more ease of maneuvering than a SMB offers, they make a lot of sense. They're also easy to work on. Though, so is a 1989 Sportsmobile - and way easier to find parts for if you break down in the boondocks. Syncros get surprisingly crappy gas mileage. A diesel SMB does about as well.

I'm fairly regularly amazed at the $$ folks will pay for a full VW Syncro Westfalia, but understand that the ones that go for truly huge bucks have been brought back to zero miles by companies like GoWesty - and are basically mini SMB's. Vanagons are surprisingly - very safe too. Built like a brick and tied for the lowest fatality rate of any car made during their years (I checked w/NHTSA) - though they still don't have ABS or airbags.

That said, there is no way on God's Green Earth that Adventurewagen will go for $90K. Prolly not half of that. Especially because the Adventurewagens, cool as they are, are not OG VW campers. And that one is not even aftermarketed in the way most Syncro owners who pay top dollar would look for: lift kit, driveshaft decoupler, front locker and better motor.

Here's the 86 Syncro Westy I sold to buy a very nice 91 2wd Westy. (The wife wanted an automatic Grrrrr).

Flame on!

dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #12

How can they ask $90k? It's obvious, it's been "waxed consistently". Who could pass up a consistently waxed European?
bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #13

Dixoncj

Thanks for joining the conversation. Glad you are out of lurkville. We have owned several VW campers camper vans and really enjoyed them. We're looking for another one when we ran across a SMB. It cost a whole lot less for more room.

It is strictly a supply and demand thing. I am sure E series Ford SMB prices will be outrageously high in another 20 to 30 years as well.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #14

Synchro owners are nuts
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #15

Since I started this thread ..

I mean no dis-respect to the seller of the Syncro. I was a little taken aback by the asking price and wanted to share.

We all like our vehicles and spend a lot of time and money on them to enjoy our adventures. To the rest of the world they just don't get it.

That's all,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #16

Well look at the bright side , it doesn't have a 6.0.
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #17

Just looking at that Syncro, you can see its Sportsmobile origins:

"Company History

In 1961 Charles Borskey started the Sportsmobile company in El Paso, Texas. After his first successful Sportsmobile, a Volkswagen conversion, Borskey was contracted to install kits into the Volkswagen minibus by Volkswagen America. One year later Sportsmobile was contracted by Ford to install camper kits in the Lorain, Michigan plant. In 1967 rising tariffs and lackluster sales ended their contract with Volkswagen of America. Sportsmobile began selling directly overseas to Germany, but soon after the Westfalia, which copied several patented features of the Sportsmobile kit, was developed. Borskey moved to Indiana and contracted out with Travel Equipment Corporation and General Engineering Corporation.

In 1976 Borskey opened his first Sportsmobile plant in Huntington, Indiana and began selling units factory direct. The high interest rates and second oil embargo almost lead to a closure of the plant in 1980. Sales soon began to pick up and plant foreman, Jim Friermood, convinced Borskey to continue production. In 1984 Borskey opened up a second location in Austin, Texas.

In 1989 Alan Feld convinced Borskey to grant him a license as a Sportsmobile manufacturer. Sportsmobile West originally opened up outside of San Diego in a 2,000-square-foot shop and eventually moved to Fresno, California into a 66,000-square-foot facility in 2000."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsmob ... ny_History

Consider the Westfalia as a branch of the Sportsmobile tree which died off.

Edit: Well apparently not entirely. Does this top look familiar? Der VW California Edition Modelle:

http://www.vw-nutzfahrzeuge.at/modelle/ ... lights/816
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Here's another FS:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1599972

BTW, SMB people have no business calling anyone else crazy.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Here's another FS:

Z
What is crazy though, is that Synchro probably has less power than a 6.0L in limp mode.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Here's another FS:

Z
And with a stock 90 hp 2.1 L motor with 200k on it no less. Looks like I underpriced my 1986 by about $70,000. A certain Aerosmith song comes to mind... until your dreams come true.
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote