Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

WTB well maintained inexpensive 2WD

Hello,
I am looking for an inexpensive Sportsmobile. I am in Eastern Washington. It must be garageable. I am looking for: airbags, Seatbelts for 4, Portapotty space, sink, stove, cupboards, dinette or gaucho below and ?. Extras that would be nice: awning, porta shower, generator or solar panel. I thought that I had one here in Eastern Washington, but there is something fishy going on. I was suppose to have first chance to buy as soon as he finished one last trip, he reposted at a higher price. The price is still not bad- but something is not right. Soooo, I am still looking. Would love suggestions. Thanks, Julie

GlampingJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

Re: WTB well maintained inexpensive 2WD

Bummer. My suggestion would be to look at the SMB site and the different layouts- a EB71 is the same thing as an EB71 has always been.

Also, what is seating for 4? Four adult-sized people is not great in the "50" (EB50, RB50) without an extra captains chair (which is not terribly common). And problem with side seating layouts?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Are you willing to some building? I bought my van from Enterprise Ride Share. It was a good deal, and impeccably maintained. Taking something like that, and sending it you Van Specialties for camperizing, should end up with a reliable but affordable setup.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #4

Thank you! Seating for 4 for driving purposes- Does not need to be fancy. No special requirements. I am really looking for something that is already built. I do not mind cosmetic updates, but I am not mechanical. I actually have feelers out on a 94 Sportsmobilie listed on the Portland OR craigslist, and a 96 Dodge Sportsmobile listed on the Wyoming Craigslist. It must be garageable. The 94 is lifted. Has anyone ever had the "lifts" taken out? I wonder if a removable seat could be added to the 94 to seat 4? Any thoughts? Thanks, Julie
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #5

Buy a bigger garage.

Even without the lift it might not be garageable, but it should be easy to remove as long as things weren't welded on to facilitate the lift. You'll need new shocks, and some other parts... if you're not 20 and hankering to wrench in your driveway, I'd just pass on something that was too tall unless it's a heck of a deal and perfect in every other way.

It seems like there are many good 2wd for sale all the time- but then again I'm not looking, and it never seems like that when you're looking. Still, if I were you I'd wait until the right size comes along- if garageable is a necessity, why buy something that isn't?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

What is "inexpensive" in your book? That would help.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think the Dodge SMBs are the only ones that fit in a regular garage (i.e., Fords do not). Others may chime in to correct me.

This is a good time of year to be looking for vans, as people seem hesitant to sell them during the summer because they want to keep them for one last summer of play.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW

Also, I may be wrong, but I think the Dodge SMBs are the only ones that fit in a regular garage (i.e., Fords do not). Others may chime in to correct me.
Here is a cut and paste from another thread......

The following Penthouse Top information is from Nancy at SMB North in Indiana. She has been at SMB North since 1981 and reports they have changed the penthouse tops several times over the years.

Back in 2003 the Dodge Ram van was discontinued. It was the only van low enough to fit into a 7 foot garage with a standard penthouse top on it. When the Dodge Ram van was discontinued, we had to design a top that was a little shorter to go on the Ford E250 so we would still have a garagable penthouse top available. So our president designed the Garagable top and made it bolt from the inside which made it lower and smoother. That is why the garagable top was designed differently. He also designed the garagable top to go all the way to the top of the windshield instead of stopping at the cab where all the other tops did. However, by designing the garagable top this way (longer), we discovered because of the length of the top, the extra outside latches were needed to secure the front of the top so when you were driving it wouldn't come up at the front.

SMB West decided they didn't want to install the Garagable top because most of their vans have 4WD and it didn't make any difference whether their vans were garagable or not. That’s why SMB West didn't install garagable tops. They also have their own mold out there so they don’t need to ship their penthouse tops from the fiberglass shop here in Indiana.

SMB West never changed their mold to the smooth top. SMB Texas also installed the garagable tops for a while. However, a lot of garages now being built have either 7 1/2 foot doors or 8 foot doors. We always ask customers if they need the top to fit in a 7 foot garage. If they don’t, we always put the standard penthouse top on.

In about 2009-2010, Ford came out with their E150 that has the same GVWR as the E250 vans. Since the E150 is a lower van than the E250 was, the garagable top was no longer necessary to fit in a 7 foot garage. So by just adjusting the standard penthouse top on the E150 van a little, we could install the standard penthouse top and it measured about 83 1/2 inches so we didn't need the longer garagable top anymore. Not having to stock two different tops worked fine for us.
I know this is a long story but that’s the reason why there are so many tops.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

^^ Useful info, pasted above!

But, I would guess that the OP is looking at a pre-2003 van, based on the "inexpensive" requirement, so top fit inside a regular garage door the OP is still likely going to need a Dodge.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
.......the OP is still likely going to need a Dodge.
Unless she has an 8 ft door height.....then perhaps a 2WD non-lifted Ford with nothing on the PH roof would fit.

Coincidentally, I just replaced my neighbor's torsion springs in his sectional garage door earlier today. The old springs were mismatched; one was way too small/short causing no end of problems including burning up a few openers and severely jacking up the door a few weeks ago.

With new correct springs installed, he was impressed at the additional height of the door when open, pretty much clearing the entire front opening. So if your door will no clear the opening, it usually can be adjusted to do so if the correct springs are fitted.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Great information! I have a 7 foot garage door. I have $12,000 to spend, but need to include taxes, etc. in that amount. I really appreciate all the information. It sounds like I will need to look for a Dodge. Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowlege. Thanks, Julie