Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ghettojohnny
05' Ford E-350 6.0L PSD Post Accident non Cranking/Starting

I recently was involved in a low speed(25 MPH) front end Collision with a Barrier wall in my 05' Ford E-350 6.0L PSD and now it will not Crank over at all.
All electrical seems to be working (Turn the key over, glow plugs light up,fuel pump is spinning) but when i turn the key over to start the engine, i get nothing.
I do how ever have a cracked Radiator if that matters?, coolant leaked after the collision with the barrier.
I looked at some of the fuses but nothing seems to be blown or damage.
Possible relay damage/issues?
Any suggestions or advice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before i send it to a repair shop/dealer.
Thanks,
John

ghettojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: 05' Ford E-350 6.0L PSD Post Accident non Cranking/Start

I know there's a fuel cutoff sensor if there's an impact, but I don't think that it would prevent cranking, but it does prevent fuel flow. Could be wrong on that though.

Where the front passenger's feet typically are, on the sidewall, there's a small opening that let's you reset the impact fuel cutoff witch. It's actually fairly hard to fin, even if you're looking for it. I seem to recall it's on a horizontal surface of the plastic sidewall.

On the other hand, if the impact was great enough to damage the radiator, it may be better not to start the van until everything gets thoroughly checked out.

Herb
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

No Cranking? I have never tested my impact switch but I'd check it out. Maybe a fuse or breaker tripped???
Seems like these things are designed so you can't damage them but I will say that after a heater hose popped off, my 6.0 got pretty hot as the coolant leaked and the engine temp gauge never indicated high temps while the engine was running. I figured I could get to a better spot in the road so I drove it for a brief time. When the tow showed it started and I drove it on the truck.

good luck...tell us what you find.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

Garage

Sorry to hear that. Could be the anti-theft system or one of the wires that runs from the batteries to the starter was severed. They run along the passenger side of the frame.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to ghettojohnny

so here's an update on the non starting issue I have.
After I physical/electrically tested every fuse in the inside of the vehicle also under the hood in the Power Distribution box.
I decided to test the relays.
I pulled the starter relay out and physically tested it., it seemed to test out ok, I tested for voltage at the Relay power pin and at the Starter Main +Voltage pin, everything seemed ok.
I then jumped for a few second, the Relay Main Starter Pins with the key in the "ON" Position and the engine started cranking but would not run.
I went and got a new Relay and put it in position and tried to starting it form the cab and nothing happened at all.
So I'm thinking I have another Power relay or ? issue somewhere else going on.

Does anyone know what the IDM Relay is used for?

A reminder that when I turn the Key ON, I do have power, glow plug light comes on then off and I hear the fuel pump running then turn off after a few seconds.

Any and all suggestions/help is and will be appreciated,
Thanks again,
John C.
ghettojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Is there a possibility that your transmission range selector switch is no longer recognizing park and/or neutral? The wires to the smaller pins of the starter relay should have continuity to ground on one side and +12V DC on the other when in the key is in "start" position.
NorthCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountry
Is there a possibility that your transmission range selector switch is no longer recognizing park and/or neutral? The wires to the smaller pins of the starter relay should have continuity to ground on one side and +12V DC on the other when in the key is in "start" position.
I may be completely wrong here but at one of the SMB Rallys they gave us several "fix it" situations where they had disabled something on a SMB and each team had to find the problem and get the van started in the least amount of time. The fuel cutoff switch was one of the "problems" we had to find and resolve. As Herb mentioned, it is behind the passenger side kick panel. Just reach over that panel and you'll feel it. The "switch" is a push button on the top of the cut-off switch that will click and lock back down when pushed. It shuts off fuel flow but not the fuel pump as I recall but I might be wrong on that. I seem to recall that it doesn't take much of a bump to have to shut off fuel.

As for the "transmission range selector", that was another problem we had to find. A vehicle won't start if your foot isn't on the brake and that is determined by the on-board computer by determining whether the brakes are on by checking the return circuit from the brake lights, not by something associated with the transmission. If a brake light is burned out or the filament broken, the computer equates that to your foot not on the brake pedal. The "work around" is to put the van in neutral and then start it.