Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

1991 E-250 dual fuel tank issues

My van has a occasional stalling problem for 2 years now. At 1st it would die for a couple seconds but restart itself at highway speeds. At low speeds I would have to bump it to neutral and engage starter. Had it in a couple shops and they were chasing spark issues. On Baja trip this year it stalled and wouldn't start. Had spark. Checked what I could for fuel pump fuses and tried a few times, waiting 5-10 minutes each time. Finally switched tanks and started quickly. Drove a while and switched back to other tank, ran fine. Next stall I tried switching tanks and didn't restart quickly but did. Drove home 2000 miles, never stalled. Overall it's stalled 10-15 times in 2 years. I'm thinking bad relay or switch that stops fuel pump. Washboard roads don't make it worse. Can happen on straight flat highways. Ideas?

Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

I've had a lot of problems with the fuelpump it self, as have others. Similar symptoms too, no start, wait a while, runs fine for a long time, then no start again. A new fuel pump has solved the problem each time for a year or two, but then it returns. A fuel pressure gauge will tell the tale when it won't start, and I now carry one.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I take it you can't leave gauge on, only to check pressure. What is your latest theory on what's going on? Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Thanks for the input. I take it you can't leave gauge on, only to check pressure. What is your latest theory on what's going on? Lance
Some folks think they die if you let the tank get over 3/4 empty which causes the pump to run hot since it's no longer submerged in fuel. Others don't believe that because the pump is pulling cold fuel through it self which should cool it. I wonder if low voltage from a high resistance connection could be burning out the motor. My original one died at about 110K miles and I replaced it at home. The second one died a year and a half later while on a trip. The third one is in the tank now, and is showing signs of failure.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote