Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #41

The Denso coils were highly recommended, but then I found Motorcraft DG508 coils for $35 on amazon. Looks like they went up to $40 now.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #42
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
The Denso coils were highly recommended, but then I found Motorcraft DG508 coils for $35 on amazon. Looks like they went up to $40 now.
Even at $40 each that's a good price for Motorcraft COP's. I buy an NAPA-branded part for $50 because they're usually in stock locally, when I need one its fairly immediate so a few dollars more isn't a deal breaker---good to know Amazon etc has them for a fair price.

I've had to replace three OEM COP's from my 2003 5.4, oddly enough the original COP's on a 2000 5.4 with 285+K miles still running strong.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #43

1997 4x4 V10 to diesel conversion?

COP's are one of the frustrations for me with my experience with the 5.4 in my truck. I literally have a small drawer full of dead or weak COP's. Truck only has 71,000 miles on it, but have owned since 2003. Although it is turbo'd, so a weak coil pack could probably run just fine in a naturally aspirated motor but won't light the plugs with 17 pounds of boost.

I found the best ones are motorcraft, pricing is pretty good here: https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...oil-dg508.html

There is a tool that you can use to find dead/weak ones. lightning guys call it a flyswatter: Waekon 76562 Coil Over Plug Quick Probe with Variable Sensitivity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021UPE58..._4adHAbX1VZ4MQ

If it's a dead coil, you can find it while idling with this. I have found weak coils by having someone load up the motor some by holding the truck in reverse with the parking brake on and holding the brake and the gas some then you hold the tester over each coil and watch for the blinking light to confirm that it's firing
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #44

Careful with Motorcraft cop's off Amazon. I know a guy that bought some, and then they ended up being Chinese knock offs. He called Motorcraft about it, and they sent him brand new ones in exchange for the knock offs that he received so they can investigate the matter. They may have cleared up that matter, just something to be aware of.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
Careful with Motorcraft cop's off Amazon. I know a guy that bought some, and then they ended up being Chinese knock offs. He called Motorcraft about it, and they sent him brand new ones in exchange for the knock offs that he received so they can investigate the matter. They may have cleared up that matter, just something to be aware of.
There is a lot of that going on, especially on Amazon. It sucks because you don't know who you can trust anymore. Luckily, at least in my experience, Amazon customer service will help you out if you've been duped. I've had this issue with everything from car parts to cell phone accessories to tools. The Chinese are, or can be, crafty con artists.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
There is a lot of that going on, especially on Amazon. It sucks because you don't know who you can trust anymore. Luckily, at least in my experience, Amazon customer service will help you out if you've been duped. I've had this issue with everything from car parts to cell phone accessories to tools. The Chinese are, or can be, crafty con artists.
My experience so far is that the Chinese companies don't have US based distributions centers (yet), so unless I can get it two day shipping on Amazon Prime, I stay away since the seller and the product could be overseas.

Got figuratively burned by some lithium batteries that I bought off Amazon and which were shipped from China. They looked different than advertised and I was confident they were overstating their capacity, so I sent them back. Of course they company "never received the item back" and I didn't have an international tracking number so I was out of luck except for Amazon stepped up to the plate and refunded my purchase price and the return shipping.

Herb
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #47

I have to admit that the thought of a knock off crossed my mind.

These came in Motorcraft packaging and were Amazon Prime, so it would be someone stateside actively peddling fakes. Technically we have laws against that, but then see what was going on with the Apple chargers.

I also have a receipt from Amazon that specifies "Motorcraft", so there should be no lack of recourse.

They did exactly match the one newer looking coil on my van, which was almost certainly dealer serviced while it was a news van. I'll see how they hold up.

Strange that ebay, with its rating system, has actually become a more trustworthy space than Amazon these days. Of course Amazon will generally make it right after the fact, which is the opposite on ebay.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote