Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

1997 V10 Check Engine Light

Good morning all! I have a 1997 Ford EB350 (SMB build) with the lovely V10 (I think it's lovely!). The van has 203K miles on it and the engine has ~20K. Story is that the original owner, who took extremely good care of it and documented everything, took the van to the ford dealership at ~180K and said that the engine was "starting to feel a little tired" and had them throw a new one in... Fair enough! At any rate, I have had the van on two long(ish) road trips in the last two months, one to BC, and one to Fruita and on both trips have thrown a check engine light under heavy highway load. I took the van to my mechanic to have this checked after trip #1 (along with some brake etc. work) and he found the computer claiming a misfire on one of the cylinders. After clearing the code and driving it several times he couldn't get the code to come back and couldn't find any evidence of a misfire. My question is, how seriously should I take the check engine light? I HATE seeing it come on but see no correlation whatsoever with performance/drivability when or after it occurs. Thoughs?

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
My '97 V10 throws the same code periodically - usually just after start up. It is detecting a misfire most likely due to a failing coil.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #3

X2 on a failing coil. Whichever cylinder is throwing the code (P030X, X=cylinder#) has a weak coil, or sometimes just a bad boot. But a bad coil won't produce as strong of a spark, so the dense fuel mix under heavy load won't light off. Mine started falling out around the 14-year mark (same with my dad's van with 1/4th the miles) so I did all mine preventatively a couple years ago, after having two go bad without about 6 months of each other.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

Thanks Baja!
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
X2 on a failing coil. Whichever cylinder is throwing the code (P030X, X=cylinder#) has a weak coil, or sometimes just a bad boot. But a bad coil won't produce as strong of a spark, so the dense fuel mix under heavy load won't light off. Mine started falling out around the 14-year mark (same with my dad's van with 1/4th the miles) so I did all mine preventatively a couple years ago, after having two go bad without about 6 months of each other.
The coils and boots should have been replaced with the new engine, right? Hmmm....
Old 04-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633 View Post
The coils and boots should have been replaced with the new engine, right? Hmmm....
Normally no. Not unless the customer paid extra for it. They probably paid for a "long-block" replacement, but aside from filters, gaskets and plugs, most of the bits and pieces are ru-used.

I had a customer once refuse new spark plugs when we put a brand new OEM (not reman) 4-cylinder into his RAV-4. His reasoning: They worked fine before.... But so did his engine before he kept driving at 75 MPG after his "change-oil" light came on. (RAV-4s don't have a "change-oil" light... it was his oil pressure light. He launched a piston clear through the block.)

If they did coils and boots, it would be listed separately on the original work order.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

I have the same year and model. Have had a few coils go out. I bought a set and replaced the bad ones only. I carry a few in the van now in case they fail when we are on a trip.
If you don't do the work on your van yourself, might be a good idea to get them all done at once by someone if the problem persists.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #8

Great info guys; thank you very much!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:51 PM   #9

Before the codes were cleared, were they read? If a cylinder was identified, I'd simply replace that coil even if it's working now. It's pretty simple and less than $100 if you do it your self. Once you've done one the next one will be easier.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Before the codes were cleared, were they read? If a cylinder was identified, I'd simply replace that coil even if it's working now. It's pretty simple and less than $100 if you do it your self. Once you've done one the next one will be easier.
Good question!

Codes can also be thrown showing a misfire within the first few hundred revolutions of the engine after its been started---P0300 if I'm not mistaken. That can be the Crankshaft Position Sensor or a COP beginning to fail as already mentioned.

Have the codes read when they return and let us help from that point.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote