Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

2001 Ford 5.4L hot start problem

So, were all loaded up for the trip to Baja. The van is running great and were off with the first stop at the gas station. After filling up, we re-started to move to a parking spot to program our new Scan Gauge. About 5 minutes later, the motor refuses to start. No spit, no sputter, nothing, it just cranks. After several tries, I waited about 10 minutes, and away she goes. Since then (3days and 1500 miles) it's been fine.

Prior to this, I had a couple instances of stalling right after a re-start and this was immediately after installing the scan gauge. I had an appointment with a Ford dealer to put in plugs and a fuel filter, and mentioned the problem to them. They checked, but couldn't find anything. I then called Scangauge and asked if it was possible the problem could be related to the gauge install, and the nice lady told me they had had other reports and had a different wiring harness that was vehicle specific, and she sent it immediately. I installed it, and then left for Mexico.

So, here's where were at. A couple times, the van re-started but then stalled but then fired up and ran fine. Then it flat refused to start (cranks, but acts like there is no gas or spark) After many tries, including once cranking for about 10 seconds while working the gas peddle. I tried disconnecting the Scangauge, with no luck, but after . I let it sit for about 10 minutes it coughed to life, and has run fine ever since.

Now were days away from heading into Baja and I'm a little concerned. The scan gauge showed no codes or even pending codes. I'm thinking the fuel pump may be acting up, but would it fix it self for 1500 miles? Any ideas would be great, Thanks in advance.....................Arctic Traveller

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

Re: 2001 Ford 5.4L hot start problem

Fuel pump is running hot causing vapor lock. Eventually it will lock up and not pump at all (at that point, you may be able to get one or two more goes with it by smacking the fuel tank with a mallet). You need a new pump.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

You need a new pump.[/quote]

Thanks for the rapid reply, Sounds like you speak from experience, but I wonder how the pump would get hot when submerged in cold fuel just pumped out of the ground, and then sitting for 5 minutes in said cold fuel. Not that I doubt your correct about the pump, but I wonder about the vapor lock..............Arctic Traveller
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

The fuel doesn't get hot enough to vapor lock until it stops running. Its kind of like a heat-seak issue.

The scan gauge is only displaying data already present in the data stream. It only sends communication when you are requesting codes or resting the SES light. I suspect the ScanGauge is only a coincidence.

I had a bad fuel pump on my '94. It sputtered and stalled a few times after long-hard pulls with the trailer, but it was more of a problem when stopping for short periods of time. It would always run after a hour no matter what. If it stalled on the highway, I would add 5-gallons of cool fuel, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, and be on my way. However, there were a few long trips where I used up the fuel can, and just had to wait on the shoulder until the fuel pump cooled down. I drove it this way for about 2-years before I finally ponied up for a new pump.