Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #11

My 99 passed great too, and it smells like a 67 cuda when I start it cold!

DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
If the rig is a Federal Version you will likely have an issue that will require the Referee to perform the smog check because the computer will be looking for a second O2 sensor that isn't there. It will fail on the initial OBD2 scan, everytime. You can do all the "prep" you want, drive 1,000 miles to reset the codes, etc., - still will fail because there ain't no O2 sensor there and the smog program has a glitch that will not allow the tech to input that the van is Federal. been there done that many times. The benefit of the referee is that the smog costs just $8

CA Smog Check Failure 2003 E350 SD - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

If it is a California van per under hood sticker, it should pass, unless other issues have arisen.
Getting slightly off topic.. but, for future reference: If you have a 'Federal' V10 as per 1der's link, you do not need to go to the Referee, you need to go to a knowledgeable 'STAR' smog station.

What is a STAR Smog Check? How do I Find a STAR Smog Station?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #13

Garage
Why not just take it and find out? My 02 V10 doesn't have EGR; I thought that would have been an issue, but it turns out not all Fords in that era had EGR as part of their active emissions controls. You will be fine!

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

I believe CA tests are like NY. If the computer reports all the factory emissions components are there, ready and functioning well, and visual (human) inspection doesn't contradict that, you will pass. Barring perhaps giant clouds of black soot or spewing fluids.

Sounds like folks are saying that CA has a exhaust gas option, NY doesn't any more AFAIK. Your car computer not happy? You fail, period. Not sure pre 1996 think they are exempt in NY but don't sue me.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #15

I agree with REDOVAL. Make the sale contingent on passing smog. If it fails, you can decide who pays to get it fixed. I also never pay for a vehicle until we go to the DMV together and title is transfered into my name. That way, if there are any liens or other issues with the title, you find out right away before you have payed for it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Getting slightly off topic.. but, for future reference: If you have a 'Federal' V10 as per 1der's link, you do not need to go to the Referee, you need to go to a knowledgeable 'STAR' smog station.

What is a STAR Smog Check? How do I Find a STAR Smog Station?
Yep, but if you go to the referee, it was only $8.00 the last time I had to have it checked , and I was able to make an appointment!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I agree with REDOVAL. Make the sale contingent on passing smog. If it fails, you can decide who pays to get it fixed. I also never pay for a vehicle until we go to the DMV together and title is transfered into my name. That way, if there are any liens or other issues with the title, you find out right away before you have payed for it.
If the vehicle seller is in California, they're required to take it in for a Smog inspection.

Herb
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #18

Thanks for all the helpful beta y'all. The rig is in Utah (slightly different emphasis on air quality control then Cal...), we are going out there this weekend to pick it up. It turns out it has the California sticker under the hood so inspection and registration should hopefully be a breeze. I think we will go directly to the Referee since there is a community college garage a couple of miles from my local MTB haunt in Fairfield.
Famous Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #19
Site Team

Unless something changed recently, a used vehicle does not need a CA emissions compliant sticker, as long as the vehicle has over 7500 miles on it when you bought it.

Herb