Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

2002 EB 250 Block Heater with a 5.4 eng

I don't see anything using the search feature, but surely someone must have done this mod.

I have a 2002 EB 250 with a 5.4 triton engine. I've called 2 parts stores looking for a block heater. They both say none is available and suggest I use the type that splices into the lower radiator hose. I would prefer using a block heater. Has anyone done this? I know it's tight in there, but would hope it's possible.

Also, had anyone used the radiator hose type heaters. How well do they work?

Thanks in advance,

​​​​​​​Bob

WanderingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

My 2001 E250 5.4 has one, but the only thing I know about it is that there is a plug hanging down in the front of the engine, I have no idea where it goes to. I would assume any block heater that replaces a freeze plug would work, assuming you can even get to one. For that matter, any one designed for a modular motor (V8 or V10) in an F series truck should work too, but I'm no expert. There are also magnetic ones that attach to the oil pan. Or, you could use the old Alaskan trick of taking a piece of stove pipe with a 90deg bend in it, placing the bend under the pan, then placing a propane weed burner in the long end. Keep a close eye on it though, I'm sure you have seen cars with melted grills when the pipe finally burns through...............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #3

I've done (3) block/coolant heater installations on 3 different vehicles, but not a Ford 5.4.

Ford 7.3 factory heater: Acts just like a freezeplug heater, but higher wattage, heats the coolant with a 110v heating element that's immersed in coolant, at the oil filter/oil cooler housing. Nice design, works good.

Jetta TDI by FrostHeater.com; nice kit, both well engineered and complete, works like a champ! Downside is VW TDI only

Kat's coolant heater: Universal, real inexpensive, instals in-line with your factory heater hose, their lower wattage unit worked well on my 50mpg 996cc Geo Metro 'chick magnet'

The only thing I saw for a 5.4 freezeplug replacement type block heater: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Triton-E.../dp/B00QSFI102. My experience with freezeplug anything is 'you are better off letting sleeping dogs lye' unless a freezeplug is leaking and you have no choice. It seems to almost never be an easy job.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

I grew up north of Chicago, and my dad always used a dipstick heater. I've even seen him use a 100 light bulb on under the hood all night, in a pinch. He might not have been the brightest dipstick, but he never burnt a car down.

Sorry, no help.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I've done (3) block/coolant heater installations on 3 different vehicles, but not a Ford 5.4.

50mpg 996cc Geo Metro 'chick magnet'

Haha! A true Love Machine!

The only thing I saw for a 5.4 freezeplug replacement type block heater: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Triton-E.../dp/B00QSFI102.
That's the one I found locally and it's now installed. Will be checking for leaks, but have the same design on my Tahoe and had no issues for 15 years.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo View Post
I grew up north of Chicago, and my dad always used a dipstick heater.

Sorry, no help.
Never seen nor heard of that. Interesting.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
My 2001 E250 5.4 has one, but the only thing I know about it is that there is a plug hanging down in the front of the engine, I have no idea where it goes to. I would assume any block heater that replaces a freeze plug would work, assuming you can even get to one. For that matter, any one designed for a modular motor (V8 or V10) in an F series truck should work too, but I'm no expert. There are also magnetic ones that attach to the oil pan. Or, you could use the old Alaskan trick of taking a piece of stove pipe with a 90deg bend in it, placing the bend under the pan, then placing a propane weed burner in the long end. Keep a close eye on it though, I'm sure you have seen cars with melted grills when the pipe finally burns through...............
I considered magnetic, til I found a coolant jacket one. I have a friend up here that cranks up the weed burner under his deisel engine on cold mornings. Up near Fairbanks, I often see Coolant, engine, and transmission heaters. Additionally, an autostart that fires up the motor every 8 hrs ... 24/7!

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

So, this turns out to be a bit embarrassing.

Back story, 13 new screws and a couple of rods have let me know, I can't do what I used to. Especially crawl up under my rig in wet gravel!

So, went to 4th parts store (5 parts stores and a Dodge dealer in then small town near me), and guy immediately was able to pull up two block heaters for my application, not sure why the others could not. One a 600 watt screw in type and the other was the coolant jacket type. Both are identical to what Amazon sells.

The Ford Dealer in next town over could not find the correct one but per engine specs, he found one for $280 plus service wanted "about" $250 to put it in. And it only MAY work.

So, got the 2 from the last parts store, and although the screw in block type is better (would not fit), I now have a new coolant jacket/freeze plug heater in place. The one Tom mentions is 600 watt, and that would have been preferred, but had no time to wait for Amazon IF I had noticed the difference! Not optimum but for up here, I really think it's necessary.

The cord just barely reaches the front of the grill, but will do the job!

It's been cold with freezing rain, but we finally got a decent snow fall and I'm set!

Thanks again, for all the help!

Wandering Bob
Attached Thumbnails
SMBBlockHeaterE.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
Site Team

You've found your solution, but for reference, 120V oil pan heaters, fuel filter heaters, battery warmers. Haven't used any of these, just came across them.

https://www.padheaters.com/

Herb
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
You've found your solution, but for reference, 120V oil pan heaters, fuel filter heaters, battery warmers. Haven't used any of these, just came across them.

https://www.padheaters.com/

Herb
Thanks for the link, Herb. I considered pads or magnets when I having trouble locating a freeze plug block heater.

Coincidently, my mechanic buddy had the house battery down to check it out. I wanted to put a pad/blanket around it before reinstalling, but he was too fast!

It's a wet cell located under the van. Doubt it will last here for long, most likely I'll replace with an AGM and blanket. Unless I do a interior build, adding solar. If I do, I'll move batteries inside.

There's gotta be a way to connect up to 3 or 4 prong plugs to a single plug for ease of use. Perhaps the guys at your link may know.

Bob