Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

2003 7.3 PSD fuel filter replacement procedure request

think i'm gonna try to do this myself this time.
last two times, the dealer made a mess out of my vehicle.
the factory owner's manual gives a description on how to replace, but i had hoped to get a play by play from someone on this site that has done it themselves.

thx.

blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Re: 2003 7.3 PSD fuel filter replacement procedure request

My experience is with the 99 F250, so my access was a lot easier.

You have to get the turbo cover off/out of the way. The fuel filter in my pickup is on top center- mine was a gelled fuel issue and ruined the fuel filter, this was also my first time.

There are two types of fuel filter, you can always use the integrated top. I took mine apart before heading to autozone and discovered I had the separate top. So I go to autozone and theyonly sell the integrated top but the guy said it would work. You might just buy the integrated top before you start.

So for me:
Remove two nuts on plastic turbo cover
Remove plastic turbo cover
Place oil pan under center of engine
Find yellow drain switch in back
Drain fuel from filter can (switch flips out easily)
Remove fuel filter can top*
Closely observe orientation of seal
Remove filter (2 sections, sometimes together sometimes attached to cap)
-I blotted fuel out of the bottom of the can at this point since I was trying to get rid of as much wax as possible.
Close fuel drain
Install the new seal
Drop new filter/filter and cap into place**
Double check you closed the fuel drain
Tighten filter cap***
Triple check that yellow switch, there is enough diesel everywhere already...
Turn key and run fuel pump a few times
Fire up
Button up

OK, so:
* The top is a spiderweb shape, some have a 1/2" ratchet square in the center, but any F shaped tool can catch the flutes of the web at opposite points. I used open long nosed vise grips with a box wrench for leverage but then I have all the vertical space in the world. Once initially loose it's hand tight.
** Mine immediately came detached from the top. I don't think it's an issue.
*** So my old one didn't have the ratchet square, the new one did. Using it immediately broke the sides, so I was left with more of a circular center. I went back to the vise grip contraption- It would be a lot easier to just have a rachet handle for space.

† So, the first time I installed I put the gasket on upside down (apparently). The old one had fallen off, and I forgot the new one, then went back to put it on and as tight as I made the top, when I fired the fuel pump up diesel went everywhere out of the top. Then I got to go drain the whole thing again and flip the seal. Worked perfectly, even thought I don't recall it making any more sense being installed that direction.

Sorry about all the notes, this is really simple on the pickup, but I managed to run into more than my share of problems.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #3

I have a 2003 E350 base model with a 7.3 engine. First of all, get the OEM Ford filter...the integral top one is a bitch because there is no room to work. Also the cap just doesn't seem to fit just right and you have to play with it for a little bit to get the threads started. The OEM cap just screws right in. If you still have your old cap that's fine, since a new gasket comes with the filter from Ford.

First remv. the dog house and slide the seats all the way back. Then remv. the silver heat shield over the turbo. Now go outside and tie back the hood all the way against the windshield. Remv. the air cleaner sensor plug and then the air cleaner. Now you can see the large hose intake for the turbo. There is a black airbox off the side of the intake hose. Use a 5/16 socket, universal and long extension on your ratchet to loosen the clamp on the air box.

Now back inside, remv. the single bolt on the psgr. side of the airbox, freeing it up and just kind of favor it over to that side of the top of the engine...away from the air intake hose. Now there is a clamp on the intake hose about midway back on the engine that holds it in place. Be sure that you look for the one on the forward hose from the air cleaner, and not the "elbow" going into the turbo. Loosen that forward clamp using a 5/16 1/4 drive socket and ratchet with extension.

Now back to the front of the truck...pull on the intake hose and it should reluctantly come out. Drain the fuel bowl using the cable release to relieve any pressure and then using a filter wrench with adjustable band and a swivel handle, loosen the cap and take out the filter...at this point the fuel bowl will completely drain. You may need to use a punch and a hammer in the proper direction to get the cap started.

Now just reverse the procedure to put it back together, obviously running the truck right after the filter is back together to check for leaks, then put all the other items back together.

Any further questions I will be glad to help...

George Lightfoot.
hehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

Wow, I don't believe it! Something that sounds easier, faster, cheaper on a 6.0! Although, it is still a PITA.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Wow, I don't believe it! Something that sounds easier, faster, cheaper on a 6.0! Although, it is still a PITA.
But there is a 2nd fuel filter on the 6.0...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

In this case, the 2nd one is the frame mounted one and it is easy. The one on top the engine is a a pain, but doable from the front with minimal disassembly.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

You can pull your fuel filter from under the hood just take a filter box out get a 1/2" drive ratchet undo cap pull out filter. reuse old cap get filter only from ford. replace gasket make sure you get cap on right or you will have fuel pumping all over. I can change mine in about 30 mins.
Chimneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #8

HOLY COW!

sounds like a serious project, but definitely don't want the idiots at the dealership messing it up, again.

think i'll allow a whole weekend to do this the first time.

not sure about what kind of tool i'm gonna use to unscrew the lid.

thx to all for the advice.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote