Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

2005 6.0PSD: P2614 and fuel shut off triggered

I can't seem to log into my account on Powerstroke.org so figured I'd ask here.

I 4-wheeled (4 low with a few good jolts) into a camp site Friday night. All good. Camped, relaxed, tried to start van to leave in the morning and no start. Engine just cranked and cranked with no sign of life. No codes shown. I pushed the fuel reset button. Van fired right up and runs fine. Once running shows P2614 (camshaft position sensor) code. Drove out to highway and 100 miles home. All good, except still has code.

Any ideas?

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

They say you can get the code from a long crank start up if the engine does not fire. They also say if that happens you can ignore the code/delete if it was from running the engine out of fuel. Sounds like you had a long crank no fire up because the safety fuel switch tripped.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #3

Not sure who "they" are, but "they" sound right!

Thanks Bellpilot.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Sorry about the "They". I googled the code an a couple sites and they all concurred on the cause. One person said in his 10 years working on the 6.0 he has only replaced one crank sensor.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

No worries. I was just joking and appreciate you looking into it. I finally got into Powerstroke forum and received a similar answer that long crank without start can cause the code. Still puzzled why fuel shut off triggered after I stopped for the night. Maybe I slammed the passenger door too hard and it thought I was in an accident?

Guess 1 time in 11 years won't worry me unless it makes a habit out of it.

thanks.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Well, almost exactly 1 week later and after a little bit of trouble free driving around last week, the van did another crank with no start. At least in my driveway this time! Trying a reset of fuel cut-off didn't work this time.

I noticed I was due for fuel filter replace, so did that on the off chance that was the problem. Still crank with no start.

Will check out FICM voltages on ScanGauge today just to see if that's it, but resigned to giving it a tow to a diesel mechanic. Kind of a bummer since it has been running absolutely flawlessly for the last few years.

This is very similar to chafed wiring harness symptoms I had many years ago. Wonder if it is the same thing?

Anyone have experience with Devil Mountain Diesel in Walnut Creek? Think I'll try them over going to a Ford dealer this time.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Dang! Mine just started taking a longer crank time to start. It will finally start and run fine. Just changed the two fuel filters yesterday hoping that is the problem. I have not gotten a code yet.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

Long crank no start is usually a lack of oil pressure in the fuel injection system. Minimum of 500PSI before the injectors will fire. Lots of info around on that subject. In your experience of fussing with the inertia switch and it started before (could be a coincidence), I'd be tempted to temporarily bypass that switch and see if it starts. I realize a 6.0 mechanic with the right test equipment would probably go right to the issue but I'm always looking for the little victories.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
I never checked the codes but I've had a no start problem that required a tow. It was a sensor that monitors the high pres oil system (ICP?). Also had the wire harness cause my engine to just die at any time but would always start and run for days between with no problems. During the harness failure the shop guys were looking over the FICM connector closely.

I did have the crank sensor fail me a different time but the shop said it was a wiring issue to the sensor.

I was so sick of having those wiring issues I told the shop to heat wrap as much of the harness as possible. They also said that the harness takes a couple of turns that need to be covered for protection. I don't know how safe it would be to try moving stuff around if its old and brittle.

Post back what you find.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #10

I looked through my vehicle log I keep since I bought the van. When it did the same thing in my driveway before was 2008 and was a shorted wire to the camshaft position sensor. I've also been through the whole HPOP thing before. FICM had good voltage when I checked this morning. Boils down to having the proper equipment to diagnose it.

Will let you know what it turns out to be.