Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #11

Re: $400 for sparkplugs on a 5.4????

I have good friends that are dealership mechanics. These are the aristocrats of the profession. They are just like you and I in that they have their good days and their bad days. I don't want anyone working on my vehicle if their child is sick, their wife is leaving, or they are sick but can't afford to take the day off. Changing plugs is basically a very simple procedure, but some mistakes can be a disaster, like cross threading, if someone is in a hurry or, God forbid, they use an air ratchet (it happens). Or not using PB blaster or Aerokroil if the plug is tough to get out (the technique is to spray some down the plug well, wait 10 to 30 minutes, then use the ratchet to loosen the plug one or two turns then tighten one turn, back it out again a little more, then back in, then out, etc.---this gives the solvent a better chance to do its job). I'm a school teacher and an electrical contractor with alot of experience in the public sector and the private sector. In my experience, what I've learned is that the overwhelming majority of people are good and decent. But there are some who just don't care. That's why it is important to know any mechanic who will work on your vehicle. And I do take my vehicles in occasionally---but never for plugs (by the way, most mechanics don't even take the time to blow out the plug wells before changing plugs). As for the seats, I take them out (10-15 minutes without an air ratchet--maybe 5 minutes with air) so I can be as comfortable as possible when working (and getting in weird positions especially while using mirrors to inspect the plug wells) on the tuneup. Those movers blankets are great for padding or for throwing over the fenders to protect the paint. I like to get everything out of the way (PCV valve--for mine anyway, fuel rail--not for mine, air cleaner assembly, various electrical connectors (be careful!!), and anything else that will get in the way.
As for taking a month to prepare, well, as Don Corleone said to his son Michael one time, men have to be careful while women and children can be careless. I know that's an oversimplification and very chauvinistic, but I've been married for 31 years and my wife loves The Godfather (even the chauvinistic parts). So do whatever it takes to be careful and thorough so you don't have to think about it once it's done. As for the $400, that's alot of great dinners out or some great flowers for your woman. And for the job and time, 400 is a fair price. Another thing is that I replace my platnums every 50K. They used to recommend 100K but that's just too much for me, probably because I'm so old school that when I started working on motors they were the old flatheads. With the dirtier engines of yesteryear, I used to change plugs every 3K. Yep, some things do get better with time. As for me, even with all the computers and electronics, I would much prefer to have a modern vehicle over the old, dirty, polluters.

motorup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #12

I drove my F-150 V8 for 160,000 miles and never changed the plugs. Maybe I should have, but it died of other causes (accident) first.

Thanks for the good discussion about V8 vs. V10. Still undecided, but feel if I chose wrong, it will not be a big mistake.
parpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #13

Yeah, if you get it done it won't be cheap.

It's completely doable in your driveway. Just use a torque wrench, and us the specified torque value (8-16 ft. lbs on my V10), and DO NOT use anti-sieze on the triton motors. This changes the torque spec, and makes stripping the threads more likely. I've never had one stick in the last 290,000 miles.

It only needs to be done every 95,000 miles under the severe service schedule (100,000 regular duty).
The only reason to do sooner is if you are running a programmer. I use the Predator, and it does cause faster electrode erosion, so I have to do it every 65,000. I've done the set on my van 3 times now. It's actually easier than on the F150/Expy, because of the doghouse.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #14

For years, I was dreading the day when I needed to have the plugs replaced in our V-10. Yes, there was a problem with plugs being blown out in the Ford engines including our 2001. (We talked about this before and some think that the issue is "over blown" but, since Ford changed the design of these engines, I'm of the opinion there was a problem.)

We have about 85,000 miles on our van now and I started having minor starting problems coming back from a trip last fall. I called the Service Manager I work with at our local dealership about the problem and he suggested it might have been water in the fuel (possible when a gas station lets a tank get too low, etc.). He said to see if it disappeared, otherwise it might be time to replace the plugs. I said that I wanted to put replacing the plugs off as long as possible because of the horror stories I'd heard about stripping threads or plugs blowing out after being replaced. He replied that they (Ford mechanics) have learned how to replace them and it isn't a problem any longer. As motorup25 mentions, they spray solvent around the plugs and then let them sit for a while before starting to loosen them.

It turned out that he was correct about the water in the gasoline and I haven't had the plugs replaced yet but I'd be very pleased with a $400 quote. When the time comes to replace them though, I will be talking to the Service Manager and insisting that he assign the job to his best mechanic and one who has done it many times.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #15

I went out of my way to purchase the pre-Triton 5.8 Ford. I read several seemingly credible sources that indicate that the Triton engines have/had a known defect related to the depth of the threads for the plugs. After much searching, I found a service bulletin out on it. Lots of pissed off owners on net if you google something like "triton spark plug defect."

I did lots of research but couldn't quite figure out, with certainty, if and when the problem was fixed and how to tell whether a particular van had an engine with potential problem. Also lots of contradictory info. As far as I know, Ford decided to bury this one instead of fixing under a recall or warranty.

One issue with this is that changing plugs is a much more serious affair than on a pre-Triton engine (I have change mine-PITA but no big deal.)

With the aluminum head and small number of threads to work with, torque becomes critical. Too tight or loose and you can spit out a plug which has to be helicoiled (sp) back in. Or you can just screw up the threads pretty easily. All very expensive.

That may explain the expense. If I owned one of these engines, I would have a dealer replace the plugs so that if they blow out soon after the replacement, it may be covered.

Good luck.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote